AWD in the sand, Planning a trip to Cape Hatteras | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD in the sand, Planning a trip to Cape Hatteras

You can buy any push bar that is for ford Explorer and use it on your Monte!
rby4xu.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

took my 4th gen 06 to pismo last month, aired down to 20psi, never had any problems. Mine has the 4x4auto but as soon as my tires touch the sand i hit the 4x4 high, and left it on until i drove onto pavement again. I even had enough traction that i helped a few folks who were stuck, FORD POWER :thumbsup:

what size tires where you running?? ^^??
I took my 2000 explorer that was lifted on 33's and it was deff different. My tires deff dug and there were some really deep ruts on carrolla beach , nc. People where passing others, one chick took her toyota mini van out , not sure how far she made it. It was fun, but to many people driving like idiots so i took my crazy ass x girlfriend to dinner instead and stayed w/ the yocal locals on the pavement. Keep pics, i actually might take my sport out on the assateague island this spring to see what's that all about,, sounds kinda nice from the website.

I have stock rims, 235/70/R16. Really all i did was go to 20psi, and like i said i turned my 4x4 High on when i was on the sand, I did have to go to 4x4 low when i was helping people who were stuck. I myself never got stuck, not event once. I posted a thread here and asked what tire pressure to run and most people said 17-20, so i figured i would start at 20, and if nessesary i would have let more out, but i never had problems:D:thumbsup:

You should be fine.

I've had my 95 on Carolina Beach a couple times. Only needed 4WD starting from a complete stop when parked close to the water line. I only put it in low one time, drove a lady friend to the portajohns by the entrance. Truck dug in in two, I stalled it in 4, climbed right out in low. You obviously won't have that problem with an automatic.

Wow I even found a pic, 03 I think, long before the lift
l_e46f0049e6cb32867e77be7db5667ed2.png

My dad had a 2000 AWD. There is a "boat ramp" in the neighborhood at his beach house (Havelock). The concrete of the ramp washed away a long time ago. I backed a jetski into the water no problem. Truck sank maybe 1/3 of the way back to pavement. I basically leaned on it (I had ACL surgery maybe three weeks before) and it climbed out. Rear was LSD, not sure how much that helped.

For those who are running on the beach, I'm getting ready to go this weekend to Corolla Beach. 2002 AUTO 4x4 explorer, i'm running Michellen LTX/MS, tires, will that be cool or should i swap to BFG all terrrains, ?? And JL 3,, what kind of tires are you running on the red x in the pic above, we should get a beach ride going one weekend,

For those who are running on the beach, I'm getting ready to go this weekend to Corolla Beach. 2002 AUTO 4x4 explorer, i'm running Michellen LTX/MS, tires, will that be cool or should i swap to BFG all terrrains, ?? And JL 3,, what kind of tires are you running on the red x in the pic above, we should get a beach ride going one weekend,
Stree tires are way better than anything else. I have taken my Ex on the sand and i aired my tires down to 20psi and never got stuck even once. Tread pattern does not make a difference, its the pressure of your tires. YOU MUST LET AIR OUT OF YOUR TIRES. By doing this you increase the contact patch between your tire and the ground. Oh, as a side note, don't touch your brakes unless you absolutly must. Everytime you stop hard you will dig in and get stuck. Leave your Ex in 4x4 High, you shouldn't need low range.:salute:

Dang, you guys going out to the beach this weekend?! I just saw this thread...but if you guys go out again this summer, I'd definitely be up for it. I'm running stock AWD, but from the sound of it, I think I'd be alright.

okay, lets see, i went last month to the beach, drove out w/ 23 pounds of air on my michellens. No problem at all, there was a few times where i thought maybe i needed to throw it in low. There are a few spots where it's piled up and soft patches, like 10-15 yards of really soft loose stuff, but the rest was hard packed no problem. Then i drove over a area where they are homes and it looks like another country, , their main roads are all sand , and it got alil hairy in certin areas but i never really struggled or had to come to a stop.. I'm up for another trip if anyone wants to plan one ,, for a few hours, ,

drive my stock AWD on the sand all the time and NEVER even remotely had a problem runs circles around my roomates cheeroke and my others durango now that thing sucks in sand

Okay now its really cold out, and have had some snow yesterday. Does anyone else miss the warmer weather and sounds of the ocean yet?? Had to visit this thread again to think warm thoughts,,lol

Last week the beach realtor sent us a catalog of all their cottages on the outter banks. I spent a couple of hours dreaming of the sand surf and sun.

Hey was wondering where you got the push bar from and how much I need one.

Back