• Register Today It's free!

AWD Offroad Recovery Question

Bob K

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
I finally took my X on some 4WD only roads in the central mtns of PA and was impressed by its capabilities in very rocky terrain. The 5.0L is great for generating the right amount of power to gently nudge the X over large rocks. Probably, most on this forum would consider the road I was on a 2 out of 5 as far as offroading goes, but it was a good test trial for me with an X that is completely stock except shocks. Biggest disappointment was the exhaust pipe just after the manifolds seeming to beg to be hit by something since it sits too low in my opinion.

Once I got home I got to thinking, what would I have done if I had some type of engine or other problem that would have required a tow out? My other 4WD SUV's had manual tranny and manual 4wd engagement, so if you had a problem, you put both in neutral and had another 4wd truck tow you out to hard road so that you could get it the rest of the way home in a number of ways. But with the X's AWD system, my understanding is towing is verboten. So if several miles from hard road and the X breaks down, what are your options for getting out, besides leaving it where it sits and coming back with parts and fixing it on the spot?

The newer SUV's are great with all the nice modern features, but it seems simpler is better when doing serious offroading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

remove the driveshaft then tow.

Never go 4x4ing alone ( I do all the time haha)

Bob, fellow harrisburg area x-er here! Simpler is always better...interesting question, not sure what you'd do.

410Fortune said:

You really only need to remove the front shaft, and then place the truck in Neutral for short tows. Long tows, remove both shafts.

410Fortune said:

Well I do most of the time.I tend to be cautous on what I tackle until I get my winch.

410 I thought you moved out of CO?

Tim

I did, I moved to Laguna Niguel, I was there for a year, things went sour, I left my ex there and moved back to CO last July :)
I quit my job of 12 years and we started our own company
Colorado is home.

Back