AWD on the beach

Boone

Reaction score
City, State
NC coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hey guys -

I have a question on my AWD 2000 V-8 XLT.
I'm mostly using it for carrying my kayak on weekends, but want to use it for surf fishing. I want to drive on the Fort Fisher beach here in SE North Carolina, where the sand can be very deep and loose.

In my research on beach driving, I'm getting two responses.

1. Most stuck vehicles are AWD, and they need to be towed much more frequently than 4wd. In some places, AWD isn't allowed, you have to have 4WD.

2. An Explorer with AWD is OK, as long as you drive intelligently.

Which is correct? Is there a difference in the AWD in this model Explorer, making it a good choice for off road / sand? Assuming I air down, can it do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cant see how AWD would be bad at all in the sand. The only difference between AWD and 4wd is 4wd has a low setting which I would imagine would not be used in sand. I havnt driven my 5.0 awd ex in the sand yet but theres no way it can be worse than a 4x4 in my opinion.

The type of tire and pressure will matter more than anything else. Dune buggys are only 2wd (I know they are lighter) but they FLY around in sand because they have tires designed for it. If you plan on driving in sand often you may want to look into some A/T (all terrain) or M/T (mud terrain) tires, then your pretty much guaranteed not to get stuck if you use common sense.

He about covered it..

I drive mine on the beach occasionally with no problem. just remember to let air out of the tires. I put mine at 15-18 psi. I also go in my f-150, I've let air out to 18 psi and forgot to switch on 4wd and didn't get stuck. Take a shovel and 2x6 about 3 feet long in case you run into problems.

V8 awd is a 40/60 split power front/rear so its not the same or as good as a true 50/50 4wd hi and it of course lacks the low range... but for a beach, air down to 10-12 psi, keep the rpm's up and your v8 AWD truck will do just fine, they are actually a blast in the sand!!! but its not a 4x4

The AWD ex also has a Limited slip differential in the rear and an open differential in the front. Which is better than a 4x4 that has 2 open differentials in my opinion.

The way I look at it if an axle has an open differential. That axle has 1 wheel drive. So therefore a "4x4" with open differentials is a 2x4.

i do alot of driving at oregon inlet nc. like everyone said let ur air pressure out. i`ve seen awd and 4wd buried. it seems to me that the trucks with the big a$$ tires seem to get stuck easier than anything. imo.

loose sand can be a challenge but with some brains and a little prep can be some of the best wheeling you can do. little tricks like rolling to a stop not using the breaks ( help keep you tires on top ) Airing down your tires to fatten the foot print, take some plywood ( base for the jack ) incase of a flat tire. some good old 100lb potatoe sacks can help get you out of a tight spot.

one of these little gems.

Anchor.jpg

and with a winch or come-Along, even a highlift jack can get you out of even the worst stucks in sand. And you will love it when the tide is coming in and your stuck below the high tide mark. the anchor as it is pulled on digs it's self into the sand and becomes a solid anchor point.

I spent from my young teens into my late 30's on the westcoast, Spend 1000's of miles wheeling out on the sand

i do alot of driving at oregon inlet nc. like everyone said let ur air pressure out. i`ve seen awd and 4wd buried. it seems to me that the trucks with the big a$$ tires seem to get stuck easier than anything. imo.

thats because they jump in drop it into gear and thump on the skinny pedal, that just digs down and they are toast!! start of nice and easy.

I've driven on Carolina Beach and couple times from a stop it was dig or stall in 4 High. I didn't want to slip the clutch too much, yeah I know, not something you have to worry about. Put it in low and climbed right out.

I did not air down at all though.

the reason you air down is to get floatation
Currently at full pressure your tire contact patch is likely the size of a tennis ball, airing down to 10-12 psi will make that a basketball = traction = floatation

Big tires does not make you smart, experience behind the wheel does, off roading is 80% driver, 20% vehicle

I drive all the time in the sand w/ 4x4 and 31" A/Ts without letting any air out (40 PSI). I stick to the wet, packed sand. I wouldn't go into the deep, dry stuff as that's where you will spin yourself in up to your bumpers.

beachshotwy9.jpg

By alohamonte, shot with L-500V at 2008-06-11

try it! air down to 12 psi and go into the dry stuff, you may be surprised where you can go

Exploders have a clutch in the transfercase so its not an "open" AWD so you will have more than one tire spin (one at each axle) if you are stuck. If you rebuild the limited slip differential in the rear with more clutch packs you can have as many as three tires spin (two in the rear one in front) which would be similar to a 4x4s traction. Bigger tires with less pressure always helps :D

Thanks, guys.

I talked with a ranger at the Fort Fisher beach yesterday afternoon,and he said that AWD is "strongly discouraged". He said that the AWD vehicles usually get stuck.

I've heard it said that the AWD on the pre-'01 Explorers are better than the later AWDs, and are therefore more like true 4wd?

I've been off road plenty before in my first Explorer and my Toyota 4WD.
I'm just trying to save myself from a long afternoon.

your truck is a V8 5.0L AWD = not the same as other pre 2001 V6 AWD explorer's
You are comparing apples to oranges here

Thanks, guys.

I talked with a ranger at the Fort Fisher beach yesterday afternoon,and he said that AWD is "strongly discouraged". He said that the AWD vehicles usually get stuck.

I've heard it said that the AWD on the pre-'01 Explorers are better than the later AWDs, and are therefore more like true 4wd?

I've been off road plenty before in my first Explorer and my Toyota 4WD.
I'm just trying to save myself from a long afternoon.

Most of those people with all wheel drive probably dont know anything about there vehicles. Most people that have all wheel drive dont even know what all wheel drive means or the difference between awd and 4x4.

Dont believe everything you hear, get out there and give it a shot. Use the advice given. You will be fine.

Just cause the ranger ran on some idiot in his subaru that bottomed out with 4 bald highway tires doesnt mean the AWD explorer is a bad vehicle in the sand.

If sand is comparable to lots of fresh snow, I can tell ya straight up that my truck does Great in it.. I sometimes feel like my truck does it's best in snow/light sand.

the reason you air down is to get floatation
Currently at full pressure your tire contact patch is likely the size of a tennis ball, airing down to 10-12 psi will make that a basketball = traction = floatation

Big tires does not make you smart, experience behind the wheel does, off roading is 80% driver, 20% vehicle

I'm assuming that was directed at me. I know the purpose of airing down. I do not have onboard air though and did not feel like driving around on the street looking for a gas station with air afterward. Especially not when 4 low worked just fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ass u me all you want but actually it was directed at all readers of this thread, and its not directed as an insult, more of a hey I learned this trick back in the day and would like to share it with you:

the day I learned about airing down my BII had 29" tires, no lift, and a 3200# boat in tow, got stuck in the MUD BIG TIME.....my passenger at the time, had some wheeling experience, and he told me about airing down.... (this was like 15 years ago now)
it saved me a $400 tow bill (inside a state park) the BII was able to pull the boat and trailer back to the road through 50 yards of thick goo because we took the tires down to almost flat. The trailer tires also got aired down, to help them get back on top of the mud. So instead of paying $400 to a tow truck and ruining our entire day we were able to pull the truck and boat back to tera firma in about 30 minutes... that was accross about 50 yards of thick goo mud (shore line), we were then able to launch the boat and make a day of it, quite a sight having 4" of mud all over the bow of my old boat.
The state park maintenence workers came over and said "what do you have in that thing" I said " stock V6" they were very imporessed the little BII was able to get back to the boat ramp, they had watched us for about half an hour. They came over to tell us they were willing to help by dumping gravel in front of us, but they were not allowed to hook up a strap or help push....they had high fives for us though when we made it through
It was quite a day :) I did have to drive about 12 miles on almost flat tires in order to find an air pump, I went very slow and I was very worried about my tires...

Airing down, it has gotten me out of ice, snow, mud, and sand MANY times.... and yes you do need to inflate the tires again before going too far on the pavement with the tires that low, something to consider for sure!!

If 4 low got you that far, imagine what 4 low with soft tires will do, and you dont HAVE to go to 10-12 psi, if you get stuck you should try releasing 4 psi or so at a time, until the truck grips again... it is not uncommon to have to air down just one or two tires to get unstuck, and back on your way.......

Back