AWD t case questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD t case questions

smitty5150

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT AWD V8
I hate to make this my first post, but ive been doing a lot of reading and need to bounce ideas around. I got a 2000 xlt 5.0 awd a month ago. It has no front driveshaft. I have no idea why it was removed or how long it has been out. I do not like losing power through a useless t-case and i dont like the creeping on inclines.

I can only assume the vc is already bad or bound to go bad if i throw in a new front shaft. First thought i had was to convert to 2wd. I would prefer that to awd and i am more of a sport truck guy, but the truck is 14yo with 200k and i really dont feel like dropping the trans to rebuild or replace. So, i started searching about replacing the case itself and stumbled on some threads about converting to a selectable tcase. Great idea, as this would give me 2wd when i want it and 4wd if i ever need it....

Based on that, i would like to do the 4406e swap. Heres my question about that....if i swapped the case and left the wiring out, will this operate as 2wd without issue until i can do the rest? Hell....if i decide to do the rest. If thats the case, all i should need is the case and a rear driveshaft to get it done. Everything else can be done later.

Am i right? Am i wro g? Am i just nuts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. In fact you can even forgo the wiring if you want, as all it really does is switch on the appropriate indicator light (4wd 4lo) on the cluster.

My first 4406 swap had the wiring, presently I haven't desired it enough to mess with it.

You should be aware though, the front diff will still have a slight rolling resistance even though it isn't being driven. There are no hubs to "unlock" so the diff will still spin when the truck is moving.

However, you can replace the front diff with a 95-early 96 unit which has the Central axle vacuum disconnect (CAD) after modifying the oil pan a little for clearance. A member here recently posted a "Ball peen hammer mod" to his steel oil pan which provided the needed clearance for the v8 engine. It is toward the end of Mountaineergreens selectable front diff swap thread. This will not work with an aluminum oil pan though.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188359&highlight=CAD+oil+pan+v8

My first swap truck had superlift suspension lift which provided the needed clearance, and, having had the CAD I do want it back. Now that I know the clearance can be had I plan to do this.

Since you like 2wd over 4wd IMO I would o the front diff swap before even putting in a front drive shaft. Then worry about the shift indicator wiring. :thumbsup:

I think you mis read a little bit. He said 4406e. But the same think applys. Just make sure it is in 2wd mode before putting it in.

The wiring does affect the shift motor still, correct? So if i leave that unhooked with the transfer case set to 2hi, all should be well until i handle the rest. Thinking about it, i will do the complete conversion. I especially like how simple it will be to get a new radio bezel w/switch, a compatible GEM, and a few harnesses. I dont mind the little drag from the rotating front end components. I can always pick up and gut a couple half shafts from the junkyard. What i dont like is the parasitic loss of power through the awd case.

I dont want to do the manual shift because i like the idea of a clean and factory install. And i also assume that, being a 2000, i dont have to worry about the vss because mine should have a wheel speed sensor.

Another question...is there a reliable way to test the transfer case without getting a front shaft? So far I have creeping in park, the front output turns in drive while against a curb. I also took advantage of wet pavement to break the tires loose. They spun into 2nd gear until I let off, though I do not know what that even means....if anything.

The wiring does affect the shift motor still, correct? So if i leave that unhooked with the transfer case set to 2hi, all should be well until i handle the rest. And i also assume that, being a 2000, i dont have to worry about the vss because mine should have a wheel speed sensor.

To answer your 3 questions.
Yes the wiring controls the shift motor.
Yes if you have it in 2 hi and leave it unplugged you will be fine.
Yes your speed is controlled by the abs system.

Another question regarding the current awd case i have. With a little snow on the ground, i felt the truck buck a couple times on really slick spots as if the case was correcting slipping of the rear wheels. I then decided to punch it a couple times from a dead stop. Tires broke loose, and powerwas diverted to the non-existent front driveshaft, which slowed me down until traction was regained. Based on that, is it worth buying a new front ds to fully test the awd system or should i say eff it and do the 4406 swap?

Back