• Register Today It's free!

Left front axle bearing

job247

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Was wondering how hard it is to replace the left front axle bearing? Have replaced both front hubs and bearings and still have rumble in front that eases up considerably when turning left or going around a sharp left curve. From what I can find I think it is a S268 bearing. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was wondering how hard it is to replace the left front axle bearing? Have replaced both front hubs and bearings and still have rumble in front that eases up considerably when turning left or going around a sharp left curve. From what I can find I think it is a S268 bearing. Thanks for any help.

You mean the CV joint or the CV inner bearing? I bet that's a @#$% to change.

The bearing in the axle housing that the axle assembly slides through.

Remove the CV axle. Then use a slide hammer and bearing puller attachment to pull the bearing and seal. Drive in the new bearing and seal and put it back together. It's just like the rear bearings on a solid axle vehicle. You might need to knock the seal out first with a chisel and hammer.

Thanks rb. Sounds fairly simple. Never done a front one before so thought I would ask before I got into it.

Well I went to replace the left front axle bearing an it is not the S268 bearing and not the 710428 seal as called for. The bearing and seal both are bigger. The number on the bearing that is in the axle now is DB59722. Was there an optional differential for this year? Everywhere that I have looked up the bearing and seal for the 1999 ford explorer like mine calls for the S268 bearing and the 710428 seal. Any ideas as to what I need to do here?

I read that the timken 5707 bearing replaced this torrington db59722 bearing. Does anyong know if this is true? If so I may try the 5707 bearing. I think I asked for a 710428 seal instead of the 710429 seal so that may be the problem there.....not sure.

Thanks for the replies. I replaced the bearing today but the rumbling noise is still there. Think its time to just drive it and see what happens. Thanks again

Back