Axle Codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle Codes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking the same thing but. Just can't understand why? Its not like the guy was going to put in a locker or anything, unless the orig. broke. It was completely stock when i bought it, and still is except for tires. Is there any thing I can look for on the Axle tag?

I was planning on getting a selectable locker for the rear and replacing the front axle with a L/S axle. Would a 2nd Gen 35 bolt right up? I am look for something with atleast 4.10 gears in it.

Thanks

Attached to one of the diff bolts should be a tag. 2nd row of that tag will start with the gear ratio. If there's an "L" where the decimal point would be, that indicates an LS (so you're looking for 3L73).

Note that when the clutches wear out, it essentially reverts back to an open diff, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the door sticker is correct and the clutches are just worn out. If you're planning to replace the carrier, it shouldn't matter what is currently installed, because it will come out.

I haven't seen much discussion about swapping the 2nd gen IFS into a 1st gen. I wouldn't be surprised if it's as much work as swapping a solid axle in, but I don't know. You can't just use the gears, because the D35 IFS uses regular cut gears, where the D35 TTB uses reverse cut gears. If you are looking for a set of used gears, you can look for any D35 TTB which was used in '91-'94 Explorers and '91-'97 Rangers (though you have to watch out for the D35/D28 hybrid if you search among Rangers). Because Ford never put an LS in the front from the factory, the only advantage I see to finding a used axle is for the gears. You'll still end up pulling the carrier and installing a new carrier.

Sounds like a good project. Let us know how it goes.

Doc, have you pulled the diff cover and verified it's open?

If not, an 18 year old limited slip would be worn out, and function like an open diff...

I have not pulled the diff cover as I have little knowledge of what I would be doing. I am just looking for some ideas that I might be able to get done for cheaper and still have a trailable rig. Would I be able to get the clutches replaced for cheaper then replacing carrier. Or is it even possible to do this.

So if I want L/S up front I will have to buy an aftermarket unit?

Thanks for all you help so far.

Sorry about the repeat posts.

Still wondering if the clutches are replacable in a L/S diff. And if so were would i get them and how much would they cost. Also how labour would it be to do.

The rebuild would cost me as much as a selectable locker considering I would have to pay someone to do the work for me. How long does it take to install a ARB air locker? & how long would it take to install a L/S unit in the D35?

These are not mods that will be happening for a few months. I am hoping to get everthing lined up first and take it all to my machanic at once. I would like to put the Rough County 4" Susp. lift on also. But I just bought some 31" TrXus MT's so I have to wait till they wear out before I get bigger tires so I was wondering, how my X would look with a 4" lift sitting on 31's?

Thanks for all the advise so far guys. I am sure I will have lots more questions in the near future.

An ARB air locker replaces the whole carrier assembly and you also need the air pump and to plumb the lines.
31s are gonna look small with a 4in lift. I had 31s and a 3in body lift and they looked small.
For right now you can always do a spacer and shackles until the tires wear out. then install the 4in.

The spacer and shackles lift sound like a good idea for now.

What other selectable lockers are out there that I could put in the 8.8?

The reason I want a selectable is that this is also my D/D and my girlfriend drives it to work in the evenings and she has a heavy right foot. But when I am off road I am thinking that a L/S unit may not give me the traction I need to get where I want to go.

I was looking at one of these(OX lockers) a few weeks ago. Has anyone used them? If so do they work well. How long would it take to install?

I was talking to my mechanic today and he told me that it would cost between $400 & $500 to have a selectable locker installed. To rebuild the L/s that is in it worst case $500.

He also mentioned that if I put a L/S unit up front, it would be harder in the corners and react different on the road. Has anyone noticed this?

I am thinking that I will just get the rear L/S rebuilt for now. Since it would cost about $2000 with all the labour to do it all right now.

Another idea I had was to rebuild the Rear L/S and later put a selectable locker up front. Has anyone tried this? Or is it a waste of time & money?

The front axle is normally unlocked(manual hubs or unlock the autos by driving in reverse) when driving on the road so you wont even know its there.

I think what he ment was in the winter when the roads are covered in snow, and you need 4WD. Which is why I am now thinking L/S in the rear and maybe the OX locker in the front. This way I could still have 4wd with out the hard corners. Then when I am off road & need the extra traction I have it at the flick of a switch.

Does any of this sound right or am I talking out my A**?

Thanks

I am also thinking that now this thread should be in the mod section not the stock. Since the the questions have changed.

I think what he ment was in the winter when the roads are covered in snow, and you need 4WD. Which is why I am now thinking L/S in the rear and maybe the OX locker in the front. This way I could still have 4wd with out the hard corners. Then when I am off road & need the extra traction I have it at the flick of a switch.

Does any of this sound right or am I talking out my A**?

Thanks

I see what your talking about, yea your gonna want a selectable locker up front if your gonna be driving it on the street and like you said you can also engage and disengage the locker when trying to make sharp turns.

I just got a price quote on the OX locker for the Dana 35 with the cable it would be at my door for $1230 ($1105 for the locker & 125 for the cable. Is there any thing cheaper out there. I live in Canada so I am looking to buy with in Canada to save on the shipping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back