Axle Differential Bearing Tapered Cup vs Tapered Cone? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle Differential Bearing Tapered Cup vs Tapered Cone?

Big6ft6

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD
I need to replace the driverside front axle differential bearing (the bearing that supports the driver-side half-shaft in the front differential housing)

I went to RockAuto.com they have two seperate parts listed...one is a "tapered cup" bearing for $4.50 and one is a "tapered cone" bearing for $9.50. Does anybody know what the difference is? Do I need both? do they go together?

Has anyone done this repair? Apparently I can pull the baering out from the side of the differential housing once I remove the half-shaft..??

Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The "cup" I think is refering to the "bearing race" -- and the "cone" is the actual bearing assembly.

bearing_race_display.jpg

(race on the left, bearing on the right)

Bearings and cups are often listed separately because sometimes, the bearing race is fine and need not be replaced. If you want to inspect the race, you need to wipe it clean and look for any small pitting or scour marks on the race's face.

Thanks IZwack that makes sense..

I was told I didn't have to pull the carrier, that this bearing was in the outside of the differential housing and I can pull them from the outside with a puller on a slide hammer?

Is this not true?? This should be a bearing right on the outside of the housing if I understand correctly...not associated with the bearings that support the carrier insdie the differential?

I better get this straight before I start.:(

I was told I didn't have to pull the carrier, that this bearing was in the outside of the differential housing and I can pull them from the outside with a puller on a slide hammer?
That should be correct

Yes, but that bearing is not a tapered design, so the parts you're looking at are not right. I was only able to find those bearings & seals from Ford.

The bearing you are referring to is not the differential bearing, that would be one of the bearings holding the carrier. You're looking for the axle bearing. Try this: http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...=2000&graphicID=T028070&callout=3&catalogid=1

Yes, but that bearing is not a tapered design
Yeah you're right, I do recall seeing the bearing's rollers sitting horizontal instead of being angled.

Right- the axle bearings- I just replaced mine not to long ago. They are not tapered.

www.completeoffroad.com has them. Talk to Mike, they are ~$18 per side.

Yup, pull the diff cover, c clip axle shaft, caliper, rotor, e brake bracket (just the 4 bolts, don't disassemble the whole ebrake!), pull the axle shaft out. Pry out the seal, break the cage holding the bearings in, remove the bearings, use the slide hammer to pull the bearing. Use the old bearing to tap the new bearing in and replace the seal.

I think he's talking about the front stuby d35 (m35) axle bearings that the CV shafts ride on

The bearing you are referring to is not the differential bearing, that would be one of the bearings holding the carrier. You're looking for the axle bearing. Try this: http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...=2000&graphicID=T028070&callout=3&catalogid=1

Hey Jefe, this is perfect...thanks! One question...why do they list these parts as for 95-00....why not '01? Mine is a 2001 is this just a typo on their website or was there some change between 2000 models and 2001?

Back