Front differential bearing problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front differential bearing problems

BoughtdamnLemon

Reaction score
City, State
Denver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLTAWD
Hi, I have an 03 explorer xlt V8 with all time AWD. I've have the pinion seal replaced and after that repair I noticed that my axle seals were leaking, more so from the drivers side. So my mechanic replaced the seals and put on new CV axles on both sides. When he test drove it, before I picked it up, he stated that it should not be "walking" like it does when you go to take slow sharp turns, and indicated that he thinks that the wheels are both spinning and the same speeds through turns. Also said that my bearing was pressed out of place on the driver side and was worried that the problem would happen again.

After that hefty repair bill everything seemed fine for a while. I went to go start in one morning on a very cold colorado day. Battery was shot, So i had to wait a few days for my check so I could purchase a new one. After that was installed I went to drive to work and heard a metal clunking sound that would get faster the faster I drove. It stopped after about 1/4 mile. Driving home from work it came back. It was vibrating so bad in the steering wheel and cab I was worried I was not going to make it back home, all with the same clicking/clunking sound and bad vibration. I figured it was a wheel bearing so I jacked it up that following weekend and went to see if there was any play or weird noises. When I did this I went to spin the tire from right to left. I had the parking break on and in neutral. Upon trying to spin it maybe 45 degrees the wheel would not go any further without considerable force and heard the clicking/clunking noise so I looked under while trying to turn the wheel and noticed that my carrier housing or front differential was moving up and down with it.

Does anyone know what could be going on with it. I'm assuming that my bearing inside on the drivers side has pressed out again causing my CV shaft to not be aligned properly, also am noticing that the sleeve on the inner CV shaft is starting to separate from the diff. Could these noises i'm hearing be that cv shaft not set in there properly, and what could be going on inside the differential that would cause my wheels to spin and same speeds while turning. Need some help!

Take it one thing at a time

When my front bearing went bad i had the dealer replace it for me i could do it myself but did not have time it cost parts and labor $375.00. If I were in your spot i would change bearing first and see how that works out you said your mechanic changed your cv shafts and i know tha cost you some scracth and you are probably getting fed up with all the repairs and i dont blame you! As far as what is making it "walk'' at low speed turns i would not even want to guess that is something one would have to be there and start taking things apart to see wear and tear and what might be locked up.But i wish you the best and hope you get it worked out and you know what they say "if life gives you lemons make lemonade"

Back