Rear Axle Differential Shock Absorber, Shock General Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Axle Differential Shock Absorber, Shock General Question

63tnt38

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddie Bauer
Hey everyone, I have spent the last week searching the forums and reading posts on suspension upgrades and shocks. Here's what I have got.

1999 Explorer(duh) 4.0L SOHC 4WD Eddie Bauer, 128K miles, All original and garage kept it's whole life. By cousin is a lead mechanic at a Ford Dealership and has a shop on the side. He does all my work!! Dealer work for the family price. :D

My wife is getting a new vehicle and we are keeping the X as my play vehicle, so time for a few upgrades.

I am replacing the shocks with Rancho RS5xxx shocks and was wondering what your alls thought are on these. I would like to keep as much of it stock looking but might change my mind later.

What about the little "Rear Axle Differential Shock Absorber", I am planning on replacing it too, as it is the original one. What the heck does that thing do anyway?

Had the front end rebuilt about 1-1/2 years ago, but have never had the rear swaybar bushings and mounts replaced. Should I do them at the same time as the Shocks too?

I checked out the body mounts and they are in great shape.

In your best opinions what are the best mods to make?

I have seen Coil overs for the front, and add a leafs and whole 7 stack leafs for the rears, with air bags and all kinds of stuff on here. Remember I want it to look like normal everyday driver, but something I can take off the beaten path if I want to. So basically a sleeper type vehicle.

I'll post pics in a little while.

That small shock absorber is supposed to damp lateral-side to side movements from the leaf springs. In my opinion you need all the stability you can get back there, so it is prudent to replace. It is under $30 if you get the Monroe replacement.

Back