Axle swap 4 solid 30's/35's axle's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle swap 4 solid 30's/35's axle's

baker01s

Reaction score
City, State
TRINIDAD, COLORADO
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT V8 AWD, 89 JEEP CH
I have a what I call THE GREEN MACHINE She's a 96 EXPLORER XLT 5.0 AWD good for towing. She see's little OFFROADING so far, I have a sweet rig for the heavy offroading. I want to swap out the axle's and put in Dana 30's/35's in it instead and a mild lift for mild offroading/towing. BUT my Q'S is will the Dana 's work ok for mild offroading and towing say cross country towing my real 4X4 to events on a trailer, along with beeing able to handle towing a trailer carring a 675 gallon's of water for my parents at least twice a month?
The dana 30's/35's are coming off a 89 JEEP XJ, they're still good axles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dana 35 for the rear would be a step in the wrong direction. Jeepers are usually the ones replacing the 35 with our ford 8.8 because of its superior strength.

I think you should leave the explorer alone in the rear. You could swap the front axle, but i would recommend using a dana 44 or 60 -My opinion is you would be wasting your time with the Dana 30 front.

The dana 35 for the rear would be a step in the wrong direction. Jeepers are usually the ones replacing the 35 with our ford 8.8 because of its superior strength.

That's what I was thinking too, but I just needed a outside help/thought. THANK YOU for your help, do you think i could/should just swap the front out and just change the gears to match.?

I think you should leave the explorer alone in the rear. You could swap the front axle, but i would recommend using a dana 44 or 60 -My opinion is you would be wasting your time with the Dana 30 front.

That's what i thought too, um i'm only gonna be running 31's on her and the rear will be doing the most work. The biggest time she'll be in 4wheel will be to move around in the snow and/or when it's muddy. My parents live out in the boon docks/land and they have a lil bridge that get's washed out on heavy rains only. if i match the gears and beef up the axle then would it ok?
THANK YOU

If your only going to run 31's I think your stock frontend should be fine, if u havent allready crank the torsion bars, get it aligned and add aleaf or shackles in the rear, 2in lift will fit 31s no problem, heck stock prolly fit with little rubbing.
Also to help front end u need to do a manual transfercase swap so u can just run 2wd, i think you would be going to alotta work for only running 31s' on my SAS I wouldnt have done it if only running 31s.

If your only going to run 31's I think your stock frontend should be fine, if u havent allready crank the torsion bars, get it aligned and add aleaf or shackles in the rear, 2in lift will fit 31s no problem, heck stock prolly fit with little rubbing.
Also to help front end u need to do a manual transfercase swap so u can just run 2wd, i think you would be going to alotta work for only running 31s' on my SAS I wouldnt have done it if only running 31s.

31's may not be worth the axle swap work, but i would rather have the solid axle with a 3-4 in. lift added. I can't work anymore i'm almost cripled, so doing these things is like a past time/hobby for me. THE only axles i have at this point are my Dana 44, a ford 9in. that are going on to my real 4X4 to handle the rebuilt 360 in it, and the Dana 30's/35's from my rig. and then there's the rear axle and the front end al ready on the explorer. I just love working on my rigs.
once i figure out how to put pictures on my account i can show off everything.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

You don't need more than an inch or two of lift for 31's at most. 3-4" would be too much for that size of tire. You would be much better off sticking with the 8.8 already in the rear of your explorer, the Jeep rear axles are weak no matter how many upgrades you throw at them. If you need to regear it would be cheaper than swapping to a D35. For perspective, the front differential already in the explorer is a D35, and is at least as strong as that rear axle. Jeeps (even cherokees) are much much lighter than an explorer, and the axles from them just aren't strong enough for a 4500# truck, especially when towing.

Also, since you have the 5.0, even better reason to keep your current axles. I would not swap the rear at least. When you are towing a couple thousand with the 5.0 it will fail quickly, and it may not be pretty.

You don't need more than an inch or two of lift for 31's at most. 3-4" would be too much for that size of tire. You would be much better off sticking with the 8.8 already in the rear of your explorer, the Jeep rear axles are weak no matter how many upgrades you throw at them. If you need to regear it would be cheaper than swapping to a D35. For perspective, the front differential already in the explorer is a D35, and is at least as strong as that rear axle. Jeeps (even cherokees) are much much lighter than an explorer, and the axles from them just aren't strong enough for a 4500# truck, especially when towing.

Also, since you have the 5.0, even better reason to keep your current axles. I would not swap the rear at least. When you are towing a couple thousand with the 5.0 it will fail quickly, and it may not be pretty.

NO NO I was going to keep the rearend on it, i've already added two leaf's to it. hauling my parents water for them caused mr to bottomed out couple times already, so i added the leafes fast. what would the cheap BUT effectivly then. I'LL deal with the soid axle swap when i get another ford 9in. or Dana 44 or beter. You win I will not put the Dana 30/35 in it there be for another project to go with the 4.0 liter. is there a aftermarket kit where i can throw some coils in there?

So, if I plan to tow just 2-3,000 lbs, would it be wise to use 75w-140 in the rear axles of my 2 explorers? Also what is the distinct abilities between the dana 35,44, and or 60 for the front axle? I already ahve 31's on both trucks without any lift kit, and I have yet to experience any rubbing. Would I burn a significant about of gas with the use of Synthetic 75w-140 in the rears. 75w-90 is going in the front axles. Mobil 1 is my immediate choice (OTC availability), even though I am generally a Amsoil/Redline fan. Also I have a 8.8 rear diff gasket, could I just use/with added sealant, rather than applying just the sealant by itself? Thanks in advance! What say you? Other veterans of the forum had recommended 75w-90 for the front/rears, but now I am thinking about towing and or hauling heavy loads, whereas most of my commute/driving is 99% hwy at sustained speeds of 65-75mph (120-135 miles per day). Thanks again!:)

So, if I plan to tow just 2-3,000 lbs, would it be wise to use 75w-140 in the rear axles of my 2 explorers? Also what is the distinct abilities between the dana 35,44, and or 60 for the front axle? I already ahve 31's on both trucks without any lift kit, and I have yet to experience any rubbing. Would I burn a significant about of gas with the use of Synthetic 75w-140 in the rears. 75w-90 is going in the front axles. Mobil 1 is my immediate choice (OTC availability), even though I am generally a Amsoil/Redline fan. Also I have a 8.8 rear diff gasket, could I just use/with added sealant, rather than applying just the sealant by itself? Thanks in advance! What say you? Other veterans of the forum had recommended 75w-90 for the front/rears, but now I am thinking about towing and or hauling heavy loads, whereas most of my commute/driving is 99% hwy at sustained speeds of 65-75mph (120-135 miles per day). Thanks again!:)

I never said i was a vet, i don't know awole lot about other states/towns but here in colorado even colorado springs people like to HIT FIRST LOOK SECOND than worry if they hurt there own car. you see i moved out of colorado springs about 12 yrs too late. for some reason i was driving around with target (with points on it) ONLY I COULDN'T SEE IT... i've tried changing different vech. but they still kept hitting me. most the hit on me were with FORD EXPLORERS, THEN one day i bought one myself moved to a smaller town and hey WHAT DO YOU KNOW i havent been in a car accident in around 4-5 yrs now. but doesn't mean my back and neck are getting better, hell i just blew out my L1 disc 7 days ago lifting a light brick about knee high .
BUT my suggestion on yor oil i would go with the lighter one in the front and just a little more thicker one in the rear during the summertime since the oil does heat up after a 100miles or so and when it heats up it looseds up too.
now lighter to oil the faster it heats up, the faster it'll leak throw the gaskets since heat EXPANDS. plus not to mention how much work the rearend pulls.
the winter time you can go with a lighter oil if you choose since it'll take LONGER to heat up, and it would save some gas too turning lighter oil than thick oil in the winter. GOOD LUCK with your choice hope this works

I never said i was a vet, i don't know awole lot about other states/towns but here in colorado even colorado springs people like to HIT FIRST LOOK SECOND than worry if they hurt there own car. you see i moved out of colorado springs about 12 yrs too late. for some reason i was driving around with target (with points on it) ONLY I COULDN'T SEE IT... i've tried changing different vech. but they still kept hitting me. most the hit on me were with FORD EXPLORERS, THEN one day i bought one myself moved to a smaller town and hey WHAT DO YOU KNOW i havent been in a car accident in around 4-5 yrs now. but doesn't mean my back and neck are getting better, hell i just blew out my L1 disc 7 days ago lifting a light brick about knee high .
BUT my suggestion on yor oil i would go with the lighter one in the front and just a little more thicker one in the rear during the summertime since the oil does heat up after a 100miles or so and when it heats up it looseds up too.
now lighter to oil the faster it heats up, the faster it'll leak throw the gaskets since heat EXPANDS. plus not to mention how much work the rearend pulls.
the winter time you can go with a lighter oil if you choose since it'll take LONGER to heat up, and it would save some gas too turning lighter oil than thick oil in the winter. GOOD LUCK with your choice hope this works
Thanks! But would the thicker oil compensate for heavier loads/tows even during the winter? Especially when trucking through deep heavy wet snow. How much gas mileage would I be sacrificing, as oppose to using 75w-90 all the way around? I figured once I changed these fluids, I wouldn't do it again until, maybe another 25,000 miles or so, and or a little sooner depending on any potentially severe conditions. Thanks again:)!

I checked Mobil 1's website. Apparently, their 75W-140 pour point is -51, and interesting enough, their 75w-90 version's pour point is -46. I live in the Northeast, and honestly believe, that hauling and or pulling heavy loads, in deep heavy wet snow, has a profound effect, on the diffs, IMO. Constant wheel movement and or at times spining in heavy snow, can increase the heat factor, even in the middle of winter/frigid temps. The aforementioned temp differences are very small in terms of the pour point factors. Also would constant hwy mileage and or sppeds, in addition to bad road conditions/weather, increase added strees on the diffs? Thanks again guys!

Back