AZ Trail Closures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AZ Trail Closures

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great:rolleyes:

I was trying to stay on top of this and the BLM was supposed to keep me in the loop. I guess the less people they keep in the loop the better the chance they'll be able to make the closures they want:banghead:

Thanks for the heads up Kevin.

Question for ya Kevin...

How many areas that you used to play in are now developed?

At least 5 major areas where I used to play are now gone. Areas we used to "Tread Lightly" on were bulldozed flat, paved and planted with houses. It gets very frustrating to watch something you helped take care of dissappear:(

"Tread Lightly" strikes me as being a joke oftentimes because of stuff just like that.... even the greenies that scream for it get to the wilderness they're trying to save by driving on highways that are dug out, bullozed through, and paved over :rolleyes:

We can't leave a tire tread out of place on the trail, but wait a couple of years, and the same entire landscape can be graded flat for a housing development. Go figure. :(

I need a beer.

Question for ya Kevin...

How many areas that you used to play in are now developed?

At least 5 major areas where I used to play are now gone. Areas we used to "Tread Lightly" on were bulldozed flat, paved and planted with houses. It gets very frustrating to watch something you helped take care of dissappear:(

I can think of 3 or 4 right off the top of my head.
The main one that stands out is out by the salt river. We used to go everywhere out there. Shooting, wheelin, whatever. Now it's all fenced off.

Unfortunately a lot of the problem is not the wheelers. When we went out to the TM clean up a couple months ago we filled the cherokee and the bed of a super duty with trash just from shooters. At the same time we were doing this there were 2 or 3 groups of shooters out there doing the same thing. One of the guys out there with us said something and the shooters started picking up their stuff and other trash too. That is what it takes - spread the word.

Sandee over at AZVJC is really doing a lot to help us all out. Anyone that wants to get involved can contact her. I know she is willing to share any information she has.

I talked to Game and Fish about the shooting at Table Mesa, the guys I spoke to see the same thing I do. Shooters and garbage dumpers are looking for the closest place to the main road to do their thing. It's VERY rare for them to drive down our trails and setup an impromptu range or dump site.

Normally our trails are pristine save for a few shards of busted tail light and maybe a few cans from inconsiderate wheelers. Nothing like the 4 foot high piles of debris the "city folk" dump out of their vehicles, or the seas of brass the shooters leave behind.

Putting fourwheelers in the same category with dumpers and shooters is just ridicoulous. They (state and federal authorities) should be happy we are willing to clean up behind others who don't even share our hobby.

They (state and federal authorities) should be happy we are willing to clean up behind others who don't even share our hobby.

They should - but they won't.
It's us and them. We are all the same to them. Shooters, wheelers, atv'rs.
I'm going to pass this on to some shooting forums I know of. If we don't get the word out we'll have to carry the load.

where all are some places around the pheonix area to go trailing

where all are some places around the pheonix area to go trailing

It's a shame that these things happen, I know it is an issue in Washington state as well..

Back