• Register Today It's free!

B/W 4404 vs. 4403 AWD T-cases

rowdyrangerdave

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola Fla.
Year, Model & Trim Level
!997 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi all. I have searched for info regarding B/W 4404 vs. 4403 awd T-cases and understand that the 4404 has a VSS in it and the 4403 does not. What I'm particularly interested in is if the viscous coupling and other parts are interchangeable. I bought my '97 Mounty 5.0 awd from a distant family member who owns a used car lot after they repo'd it from a customer. Problem is , her son who repo'd it used a car dolly to transport it about 15 miles with the front wheels strapped ( DUMBASS! ) and after getting it running found out it was making grinding/ clunking noises while getting up to speed and also at low speeds such as turning around and such. I have researched this and keep getting pointed to the VC being locked up. I have acquired a used 2002 4403 T-case out of a 4.0 SOHC V-6 Eddie Bauer with 110000 miles on it for 60.00 ( Thanks Craigslist! ) and believe I've seen a thread about using the VSS case side of the 4404 and shaft on the 4403 but cannot find this thread. Anyone have this info? I saved this Mounty from the scrapyard because of its low 160000 miles and after fixing ALL power windows and locks and getting it running is a great running vehicle. Sorry this thread is so long, just wanted to be as descriptive as possible. And thanks in advance to any and all responses, Rowdyrangerdave!

Back