Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eagle Mountain, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' XLT 5.0L 4X4
Callsign
Turbo
I have a 98 AWD case I pulled out to do a 4406 conversion with. I am looking to sell the 98 case. If they have a 97 truck that needs the VSS sensor in it for their speedo (mine does not, its in the rear axle) Can they just split the cases and use the back half of their old case with the sensor in it and bolt it to the new internals and front half of my case? Internals are the same I would imagine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, they can. IIRC, there's a diary around here about just such a swap... I thought it was a sticky, something about a hybrid transfer case or something like that... It's been a while since I've seen it. However....

That being said, it sort of depends on the nature of the failure of the 97 case in the first place... If the shift rail bore was shot on the 97 case, replacing the back half of it with the 98 won't fix the shift rail bore issue in the front half of the case. If it was a clutch or gearing failure, and they plan to re-use most of the 97's parts, the parts needed for the 97 may work fine. It's just tough to say.

For a direct bolt-in plug-n-play swap, a 97 case needs to be replaced with a 97 case.

-Joe

Yeah thats what I thought as far as the best bet for a 97 is a 97. But I will look for that thread, and the buyers case has his chain slipping under hard accl.

The only way his chain would be slipping under hard acceleration would be if the rear wheels were spinning and the fronts weren't (and it would be making a God-awful racket when that happened!) When accelerating on dry pavement, it's unlikely that the chain would be slipping, unless he's got some monster of a drivetrain in that thing...

Just my .02...

-Joe

? He says its crazy rough under hard acceleration. I have never seen or driven it just what he says is the case is goin out so ? Not sure was just checking on that sensor would hate for him to buy one he can't use. I know money is tight for everyone.

Oh, wait a second... We're talking about a 44-04, not a 44-05... There is no shift rail bore to have an issue with, so ignore that part of my comment...

Not sure exactly how much would be the same between them... THere may be some components missing from the back half... I'll need to look at the exploded diagrams side by side, and won't have access 'til Monday at the earliest...

Back