Back doors do not unlock with keyless | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back doors do not unlock with keyless

4FordFamily

Been there done that
Reaction score
City, State
Fishers, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Sport, 08, other ford
both of my back doors do not unlock with my keyless entry or anything. They have to be unlocked/locked manually, and they havent worked for a long time. I can hear the noise, but the locks dont move.

Any ideas?

I purchased the truck 3 years ago with the problem, same with my check engine light

Unrelated maybe, but my back doors do not open now when you pull on them. They appear broken and it doesnt have a "click" when u pull on them.
I sure do have great luck,

Any idea on where i can buy new locks for cheap? And how to fix the locks not working with the keyless or inside controls

THOSE DAMNED DOORS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I was you I would try to remove the door panels to see if by chance the lock linkages may have come off. Its funny that both door wont unlock. Ive had the linkages come of on my X and it did exactly what you say yours is doing.

You're hearing the actuators but nothing is happening? Good chance that it could be either the rod that connects to the actuator is off/broken, OR the actuator is itself bad. I've got a bad actuator on my rear hatch but never got around to fixin it.

My own problem seems to be electrical in nature, b/c none of my doors will LOCK with the keyless or front door switches, but they will LOCK with the rear switch just to the left inside the cargo area and will UNLOCK with ALL switches and keyless. Any help is appreciated.

Ok well it turns out they WERENT making noise. I thought they were, but never took the time to actually get close and listen.

Turns out the former owner of the vehicle had unplugged the actuators/motors whatever because they were fried. I suspect a kid was trying to unlock/open or holding the button while someone up front was trying to unlock or open and it fried. I'm so glad they told me this, and then hid it by unplugging the actuators.

It makes a horrible scraping/burning sound when you unlock or lock (when actually plugged in of course)

Amazing what you can find after you buy a used vehicle!

So now i need new ones where can i get these?

I did a quick Google.com search for "Ford Door Lock Actuators" and there's many hits. You're likely to spend anywhere from $30-$50 shipped. Just be sure that the actual linkage inside your door is free & clear of any defects. It actually takes much more than just holding the lock to fry these units.

Try the following links or do a Google search yourself:

www.a1electric.com/actuators.htm

www.rockauto.com

www.1aauto.com/1A/DoorLockActuators/Ford

Hope this helps....and yes, Explorers CAN be a money pit!

Yeah, i have seen all those sites. However, none have REAR door actuators. they are called motors? IM CONFUSED

I'm not sure that there is any difference between the actuators. Call Ford and ask them for the part numbers, cost & availability of the Front, Rear & Hatch lock actuators and see what they say....OR...get the part number yourself (off of the actuator on your rear door) and compare it to the front doors. I cant imagine that they would be any different.

try the dealer first... I broke my rear interior handle... I first looked on line and it was $20 +shipping... went to the dealer $14.00 out the door... I think this would be similar... the door pannels are easy to work with too...

Back