• Register Today It's free!

back window wiper

Jake Jackson

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Escape Titanium
I have a 2001 explorer sport and the back wier Quit working. does anybody have any suggestions on how to get it working again???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would bring that back to the dealer:(

Well aside from taking it to the dealer it is one of the following things:

fuse

the wiper switch

The wiper wiring

the wiper motor.

I know that doesnt help much,but when mine quit working first I pulled the switch and ran a jumper wire (just like pushing the switch) and the thing worked fine, so that told me that the wiper motor, wiring, and fuse were all okay and theproblem was in my switch.

Well being an 88 BII Ford doesnt sell this little switch anymore, so I rebuilt mine. Turns out the contact inside was a little worn out and it just wasnt making contact, so I superglued on a thin piece of cardboard and it has worked perfectly ever since. I have a collection of about 5 of thse switches from junk yards because I plan to keep my truck for another 20 years or longer......

So hopefully that little story will help you troubleshoot it yourself.......

My rear wiper quit within a year of new. When I went to Ford thay said the motor's bad. I asked if this was a common problem and the guy said yea, there are probably new ones in the lot that are bad! I asked if they changed anything on my replecement, he said no. So after 3 more years it's still okay but I think about it every time I turn it on! Definately take it back, you paid for a GOOD motor. Good luck!

Try these simple things. Slam the glass hatch(not the whole rear door) shut fairly hard then try the wiper. Also, turn the wiper on and pull it up out of its channel and jiggle it. One of these methods gets it working every time for me. There is a switch in the rear hatch that won't let you operate the wiper with the glass opened. Slamming the glass door usually resets the switch. This is a very common problem, but it is a pain in the ass to replace that ##%@@ switch. It works for a week or two, then you gotta slam it again. This assumes you don't have a motor or wire problem.

Damn sometimes I am glad I have an 88............
less do dads to break, but still everything I need......

My rear wiper did the same thing...quit working. Ford determined that it was the motor, and replaced it under warranty.

Back