Backfiring and red glowing catalytic converter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Backfiring and red glowing catalytic converter

Procyrus

Reaction score
City, State
my mom, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
First post...long fan of the forum..has always helped me out. 1998 Explorer 4.0 pushrod engine...has 170,000 miles....i got a hold of it when it had 62,000. So over 100k miles I have added this trick has been great to me and I beat the hell out if. Rancho shocks,,,change the plugs and wires all the time..and always change with lucas oil. This past week I ripped it apart and replaced both cylinder heads..they were cracked bad but the block was beautiful..there was no "lip" from the head..all was smooth.
Anyways its all together and its still acting weird. I checked the IAC...wasnt that. So I unplugged the MAFS and it runs smoother without it on...so I got another one and through it on there...still does the same damn thing..idles better with the MAFS unplugged. So I took it for a test drive...a two mile drive and it sounded like a frickin popcorn bag goin off in a microwave and when i got home my cat converter was glowing red. Whats the deal?..is too much gas goin in...prob due to the rough idle? It seems like all pistons arent runnin but after newer heads...plugs..wires..gaskets..etc etc...whats up? Bad fuel injector is my only clue....Thank you for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First post...long fan of the forum..has always helped me out. 1998 Explorer 4.0 pushrod engine...has 170,000 miles....i got a hold of it when it had 62,000. So over 100k miles I have added this trick has been great to me and I beat the hell out if. Rancho shocks,,,change the plugs and wires all the time..and always change with lucas oil. This past week I ripped it apart and replaced both cylinder heads..they were cracked bad but the block was beautiful..there was no "lip" from the head..all was smooth.
Anyways its all together and its still acting weird. I checked the IAC...wasnt that. So I unplugged the MAFS and it runs smoother without it on...so I got another one and through it on there...still does the same damn thing..idles better with the MAFS unplugged. So I took it for a test drive...a two mile drive and it sounded like a frickin popcorn bag goin off in a microwave and when i got home my cat converter was glowing red. Whats the deal?..is too much gas goin in...prob due to the rough idle? It seems like all pistons arent runnin but after newer heads...plugs..wires..gaskets..etc etc...whats up? Bad fuel injector is my only clue....Thank you for your time.
my first car (a crown vic) did that after i changed the wires. I mixed up the wire order and lots of unburned gas went in. Something to check.

Can't help you out, but i'm looking for the answers to similar problems on my truck.

very odd, but it can happen

if your alt is about to crap out and is only running on 1 diode thats what happens..Its putting out enough power to run, but not enough to run right.

Happens lots on snowmobiles so..or like said above too

brand new battery and brand new alternator as well. Ill prob have to send it up to a mechanic who has a computer who charges $60.00. But its pissin me off cuz I got this far through mostly this forum board. Thanks again!

Ok..Im not 100% sure but here it goes...the truck is idling rough..sounds like a cylinder isnt firing...that extra fuel travels through the pipes making the cat converter glow red?

brand new battery and brand new alternator as well. Ill prob have to send it up to a mechanic who has a computer who charges $60.00. But its pissin me off cuz I got this far through mostly this forum board. Thanks again!

Ok..Im not 100% sure but here it goes...the truck is idling rough..sounds like a cylinder isnt firing...that extra fuel travels through the pipes making the cat converter glow red?

Yes....

unburned gas is terrible for the converter. It combusts in there and makes the converter turn red. It is also very close to the trans, heating up critical parts of the transmission.

You sure you have the plug wires back on in the proper order as 96eb96 mentioned? That would cause what you're seeing.

$60 for a scan, damn their making money.
We only charge $20 which I think should be more, bought another new scanner for 9 grand.

did you check to see if your getting spark on all wire, and how the plugs look?

not to kick you while your down or anything but your cat and maybe both 02 are going to need to be replaced.Your cat has burnt and will throw off ur ECU making you run a lil rich or lean. Check to see if u get spark to all the plugs and they are in the right order like ppl above said. looks like it be an ez mistake to make. Also i would go to autozone and have them scan it for free to get a better idea b/4 i dropped $60.

96eb96...thank you..sure enough i walked out the next morning..had two wires crossed...the thing runs like a champ now..i had it up to 115mph down the road....next step is for a rebuilt transmission..something I am not about to do myself nor have the time for. Once again thank you 96eb96, and everyone else who took the time, my problem is solved and the forum boards are great and I will be back! Take care!

Glad you got it solved!

bad 02 sensors won't cause something as extreme as a glowing cat. The computer will ignore the sensor, cut fuel immediately, go into a preprogrammed mode, and throw a light.

The other two things that I've heard do this are:

-A bad injector driver in the computer itself. The computer opens each injector for an instant by grounding it electronically via a power transistor. Yes, they can fail. You find this by connecting a special Fuel injector test light at the injector, and look for a constant on.

-And less likely, a stuck fuel injector.

When the above happens however, there is usually gas coming out of the tailpipe because of the sheer amount of fuel involved.

Back