backup camera diagnose and replace APIM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

backup camera diagnose and replace APIM

Reaction score
City, State
Racine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
I am new to this forum. I brought my 2012 explorer limited to the dealer because backup camera is not working. All the other bells and whistles work on the touch screen. Dealer told me I need new APIM module and it will cost 1240.00. 370.00 was for the diagnosis. I had the whole system replaced in 2014 for completely different reasons. I don’t think my issue with the camera not working, was diagnosed properly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The backup camera stopped working one day and the screen told me to see the dealer whenever I am in reverse. I had a couple fender benders, so I assumed I damaged the camera.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am new to this forum. I brought my 2012 explorer limited to the dealer because backup camera is not working. All the other bells and whistles work on the touch screen. Dealer told me I need new APIM module and it will cost 1240.00. 370.00 was for the diagnosis. I had the whole system replaced in 2014 for completely different reasons. I don’t think my issue with the camera not working, was diagnosed properly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The backup camera stopped working one day and the screen told me to see the dealer whenever I am in reverse. I had a couple fender benders, so I assumed I damaged the camera.

The camera is located immediately above the licence plate and the wiring for it, within the "Explorer" trim piece of the back hatch below the liftgate glass. Unless your fender benders have been with semi, it should still be intact. They may, however, have jarred loose some connections.

$370 for a diagnosis seems excessive, to say the least. I'm just a random on the internet though. Did they have anymore information on how they diagnosed it?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
It sounds that the only thing that needs replacing, other than the individual that you spoke with, is the camera. Given the age of the vehicle, it is quite possible that it is a goner. Many owners of similarly aged Explorers have had the same issue. Whatever you do, I strongly suggest you find another dealer.

Peter

The camera is located immediately above the licence plate and the wiring for it, within the "Explorer" trim piece of the back hatch below the liftgate glass. Unless your fender benders have been with semi, it should still be intact. They may, however, have jarred loose some connections.

$370 for a diagnosis seems excessive, to say the least. I'm just a random on the internet though. Did they have anymore information on how they diagnosed it?
I got no information from them except that it was taking longer than they thought to diagnose and the fee for that would be 370. I am realizing now that they couldn’t find the promlem , so they want to replace the whole module. My car is being held hostage, so I have to pay the 370.00 just to get it back.

It sounds that the only thing that needs replacing, other than the individual that you spoke with, is the camera. Given the age of the vehicle, it is quite possible that it is a goner. Many owners of similarly aged Explorers have had the same issue. Whatever you do, I strongly suggest you find another dealer.

Peter
I have To pay the 370 just to get my car back. Are there any questions I should be asking them to see if it was properly diagnosed. I feel like I’m being taken advantage of. I want to sell the car and that was the only reason I brought it in for the backup camera repair. They offered me 13,000 for a trade in, which I laughed at.

Peter

I got no information from them except that it was taking longer than they thought to diagnose and the fee for that would be 370. I am realizing now that they couldn’t find the promlem , so they want to replace the whole module. My car is being held hostage, so I have to pay the 370.00 just to get it back.

The camera itself is $285 on this site; 2011-2012 Ford Explorer Rear Camera BB5Z-19G490-A | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
I would ask then what specifically did they find that is the problem. Ask them how they determined it was the APIM that was bad since everything associated with MFT is working? Ask if they checked the camera. I would ask how much they would charge to replace the camera and program it to your Explorer. See if they will apply some of the diagnostic fee to the cost. If they won't do that and you're convinced it isn't the APIM that is at fault then you have to decide whether to pay the $370 fee and have them do work on the camera or pay the fee and go elsewhere.
Keep in mind that I'm basing all this on the assumption that it is the camera that is the issue. I have no way of knowing if it is bad or not. I'm just going by the number of members that had similar early model years with camera failures and the fact that you received that warning message about having to see a dealer.
Rearview Camera Problems

Peter

If it’s a dealer, they should have stated fees clearly disclosed at the service desk, including a diagnosis fee. Check to see what those signs say.

If it’s a dealer, they should have stated fees clearly disclosed at the service desk, including a diagnosis fee. Check to see what those signs say.
I'm guessing that the fee likely includes at least a couple of hours of diagnostics to come up with, what in my opinion, was the wrong conclusion.:rolleyes:

Peter

The camera itself is $285 on this site; 2011-2012 Ford Explorer Rear Camera BB5Z-19G490-A | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
I would ask then what specifically did they find that is the problem. Ask them how they determined it was the APIM that was bad since everything associated with MFT is working? Ask if they checked the camera. I would ask how much they would charge to replace the camera and program it to your Explorer. See if they will apply some of the diagnostic fee to the cost. If they won't do that and you're convinced it isn't the APIM that is at fault then you have to decide whether to pay the $370 fee and have them do work on the camera or pay the fee and go elsewhere.
Keep in mind that I'm basing all this on the assumption that it is the camera that is the issue. I have no way of knowing if it is bad or not. I'm just going by the number of members that had similar early model years with camera failures and the fact that you received that warning message about having to see a dealer.
Rearview Camera Problems

Peter
The fist question I asked them was if they actually checked the camera, because everything I read on this website said 2011 and 2012 explorers cameras failed often. Can you determine whether or not the camera is faulty without trying out a new camera? The mechanic somehow determined it wasn’t the camera, but I don’t know how. I have not been able to talk with the technician/mechanic directly, so my questions keep getting relayed back and forth

I'm guessing that the fee likely includes at least a couple of hours of diagnostics to come up with, what in my opinion, was the wrong conclusion.:rolleyes:

Peter
That is exactly what the fee is for . 370 for them to tell me they really don’t know,

ha ha, no semis were involved. Just my husband’s car in our own driveway. The dealer claimed they wanted to be thorough, because they misdiagnosed a vehicle with similar issues recently and they didn’t want that to happen to me. I received a call asking if I was ok with the 370 amount, but I assumed that would have been baked into the price of the repair once it was identified. I guess I thought they would find the wire and tickle it, and I would be on my merry way. I should have known better.

That is exactly what the fee is for . 370 for them to tell me they really don’t know,

ha ha, no semis were involved. Just my husband’s car in our own driveway. The dealer claimed they wanted to be thorough, because they misdiagnosed a vehicle with similar issues recently and they didn’t want that to happen to me. I received a call asking if I was ok with the 370 amount, but I assumed that would have been baked into the price of the repair once it was identified. I guess I thought they would find the wire and tickle it, and I would be on my merry way. I should have known better.

Sounds like either an incompetent or unethical dealership. Either way, I'd recommend putting in a complaint to Ford about this.

A 370 diagnostic fee in general is pretty high. That's 3.5 hours that they're charging, to then charge you a further 1k on top.

If I were in your shoes, I'd ask for my vehicle back and dispute the charges with the GM (not just the service manager).

The fist question I asked them was if they actually checked the camera, because everything I read on this website said 2011 and 2012 explorers cameras failed often. Can you determine whether or not the camera is faulty without trying out a new camera? The mechanic somehow determined it wasn’t the camera, but I don’t know how. I have not been able to talk with the technician/mechanic directly, so my questions keep getting relayed back and forth
I'm not sure how you would be able to check the camera without actually replacing it. The fact that the camera came up with the warning to see a dealer should be enough to point that there is an issue with it. That is what many of the members experienced. If it were my vehicle in a similar situation I would have them replace the camera and program it to the vehicle and go from there. Some members have done it themselves but seeing as you already have some money tied up in this, if they agree to offset the cost by figuring some of the diagnostic fee so you may be better off getting them to do it. If they don't agree to do that, I'd pay the fee and get it out of there. If they agree, once that work is done, I'd take my vehicle out of there, whether the issue was resolved or not and find another dealer to go to in the future.
BTW, the $13,000 they offered doesn't seem to be too far off the mark. I checked out Autotrader.com and while prices seem to vary quite a bit depending on mileage, I found some 2015 XLT models going for around $15-16k. Limiteds were a little higher. You can always check and see what they are going for in your area. Good luck.

Peter

Back