Backwards Sunroof Controls | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Backwards Sunroof Controls

I couldn't find a forum for interior topics, so I figured this was the closest one.

The sunroof switch on my 1995 Eddie Bauer is backwards (pushing the switch on the side closest to the sunroof closes it, while the side closest to the windsheild opens it). Anyone know how I can get the overhead console off so I can flip it around?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm...that's weird. Mine works like it should. Look at the switch. As you may know about the 2nd gen Explorers, the window switches are designed for you to feel instead of look. Does the sunroof switch have a dent part near the sunroof? If so, you may have a connection problem.

In order to take the overhead console out, you need to open the sunroof. After opening the sunroof, pull the sunroof trim where the back of the overhead console is. Just pull enough so the console will come loose. Once you've done that, go to the front of the console and yank it out. It's that simple. Once you're in there, just take required plug off then turn it around. I think it should work. Good luck!!

P.S. Check your Private Message box.

IMPORTANT

If anyone reading this plans to attempt this, you should be sure to complete the following step before following the posted instructions:

Pry off the plastic light cover and remove the screw between the two lights. This screw holds the console to the ceiling.

Because I was impatient and didn't bother to check for such things beforehand, I broke the bracket that holds the lights. I'm hoping it will fix with super glue.

Wait...are you sure you have the factory sunroof? If so, there aren't any screws holding the console. If you don't believe me, here're the instructions from my shop manual cd-rom:

Console, Roof (with Power Moon Roof)

Removal and Installation

1. Push moon roof trim moulding back for clearance.

2. Using hand pressure, release snapping clips attaching console to mounting bracket.

3. Disconnect electrical connector.

4. Remove roof console (519A58).

For installation, follow removal procedures in reverse order.

I apologize for making you breaking the console.

Yep, it's factory. It's the eddie bauer, and I believe they call come with a sunroof. There was a screw between the two lights. I dunno, weird. Not a problem :)

Welp, I just tried supergluing the broken piece back on; no dice: as soon as I reassembled the bracket and lights, I went to screw it back in and just the torque from a cheap power screwdriver gave enough twist to wrench the glue right off laterally. I guess I'll have to look on ebay for a new bracket. Anyone know where to get one?

Just FYI, I know this screw isn't factory. The hole is very off-center. It's from when someone worked on the sunroof some time before (I'm the second owner of the truck). Must be the same moron that mounted the switch in backwards.

Back