Bad bearing-like noise in front end | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad bearing-like noise in front end

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did anybody figure this out yet. I have the same thing going on in My 94 XLT. Just replaced the ball joints and all the front axle u-joints and repacked the front wheel bearings. Still makes the noise. I was thinking hubs or transfer case. Any ideas?

I have had this noise diagnosed as pinion bearings. There are two bearings though, one on the outside and one on the inside. The one on the outside is supposedly easy to change out but the one on this inside is a tricky job. Put the truck on stands and listen to the front diff. Let me know what is found out.

Nothing New

About a year ago I had the bad grumbling/rumbling sound you described from the driver's side that surely was the hub/bearing assembly. So I swapped out the assembly and the sound was down to about 50% of what it was...so I was pissed but couldn't find what else the problem could be. It was time for new front rotors about 6 months later, so I got some AutoZone cheapies, slapped them on and suddenly my front end was as quiet as new. I have no idea why the rotors contributed to the noise, maybe the old ones were too thin and could not "absorb" vibration and noise from the hub assembly????:dunno:

I have the same noises. I just installed new tires which I do not think is the issue. But, I have the AWD model and am experiencing major groaning rumbling noise from brake pedal floorboard as well. Tonight I got it in the air, and my my passenger side brake/bearing assembly was rotating at 1/10 speed of my driver side with marginal brake pressure. The calipers were rubbing/locking onto the rotor. The inside edge of my rotors were both wore, pass 3/4 inch, driver 1/2". Should have them installed in next week so will update.

I dont think the noise is coming at all from front diff, but we will see... Maybe bearings, any thoughts??

bump on an old thread..... i haven't driven my X much since Ouray, mainly since I only live 2 miles from work (yay for bikes and scooters!) but i'm a bit injured at the moment and have been driving a bit more the last few weeks.

anywho - i've got the same groaning/rumbly sound coming from what feels/sounds like the front. had new pads/rotors put on the front in the summer, or spring, so not sure if it is that. it's also a bit more bouncy up front then it was before, but my shocks are baaad and need to go so i'm guessing it's unrelated.

i know i have a slow leak in the front diff- the oil changer guy noticed it last year. since then, i've been doing my own oil changes, etc, but i'm wondering if maybe that has something to do with it. i'm no mechanical pro, but if somebody gives me something to look for i can track it down. i just hate taking it in without having an idea first.
thanks guys-

oh, and hi brett! i can't believe you are moving from this fine state :-(

bump on an old thread..... i haven't driven my X much since Ouray, mainly since I only live 2 miles from work (yay for bikes and scooters!) but i'm a bit injured at the moment and have been driving a bit more the last few weeks.

anywho - i've got the same groaning/rumbly sound coming from what feels/sounds like the front. had new pads/rotors put on the front in the summer, or spring, so not sure if it is that. it's also a bit more bouncy up front then it was before, but my shocks are baaad and need to go so i'm guessing it's unrelated.

i know i have a slow leak in the front diff- the oil changer guy noticed it last year. since then, i've been doing my own oil changes, etc, but i'm wondering if maybe that has something to do with it. i'm no mechanical pro, but if somebody gives me something to look for i can track it down. i just hate taking it in without having an idea first.
thanks guys-

How does the swaybar endlink look?

You said 2 things which ring a bell here-
Ouray, and driver side. Have your lower control arm checked out.Remember when Josh was teetering on that switchback and you pulled him off? That Jeep idiot who tied the strap to your truck tied it there, after my protesting to tie it to the front cross member. I don't think it hurt anything though, to be honest. I was watching and saw no movement-

You might want to recheck the brakes-I had just redone mine before Ouray and lost brake bolts-" We almost died!!"

Also check the hub-

It might be best to take it in for an alignment, not for an alignment as much as just to have someone look this all over for you. It will take some straining, and this will not be good right now.

yup.. it's drivers side.. i drove home from work with the windows down to listen/feel better. it happens cruising in neutral and turning the wheel, also when gassing it, etc.

i had an alignment done a month or so before ouray, maybe i'll just take it back there and have them check it out. they seemed cool. i'll crawl underthere and check it all out, jack it up and check the brakes. if there is anything i know how to do mechanically it's brakes, having helped my dad sooooo many times on various vehicles and such.

hm... better get this scooter of mine put back together soon haha

All noise is gone. Actually ended up taking it to local J-Lube shop to get opinion. The noise I heard was from lack of limited slip additive. The gears were catching and every rotation felt like they were jumping to the next. I had my local J-Lube actually change the fluid (had to use 1 inch breaker bar on bottom drain plug). They put in 75w140 gear oil with two bottles of Limited Slip Additive in it. They informed me to drive on it for at least 1 gas tank before expecting the noise to go away. I have since driven one tank and noise is completely gone. It feels like a brand new car. Front hubs are ok too!!

well i checked the swaybar endlinks and they are good... none of the boots on the other balljoints etc look cracked or weird or anything. like i said, the front diff was slowly leaking, but when i looked under there today it looks like it had leaked a lot more since i last checked, perhaps due to ouray and all the wheelin? also, on the front driveshaft, the around the boot in the middle (well toward one end) it's all oily/leaky looking. u-joints bad? i do get a bit of a clunk when i put it into gear from park, not bad, but definitely there.

i'm not super knowledgable in all this, but could bad ujoints be causing the grumbly noise when turning the wheel left (and also audible just driving straight, but not as much)? i was thinking it was something else, but i don't know. i'll have my dad check it all out when i go home for thanksgiving. maybe i can get him to replace the seal, add more fluid. i just won't put it into 4wd anytime soon (knock on wood, snow is around the corner i feel)!

then again, my beast only has probably 71000 miles on it, it actually hit 70 in Ouray haha
n14811518_39939852_1510.jpg

do they go out that early? i remember them going out in my dad's truck with probably 50k more than that on, haha.. and it was a beater farm truck!

thanks guys-

4wp had a special going on here, transfer case fluid, and bot differentials (fluid) replaced for 70$ or something, maybe they have it where you are as well. also might go to a reputable allignment shop, and have them check your hubs/wheel bearings. they might be groaning.

if you are somewhat handy, you can disconnect your front driveshaft, and see if the noise stops. do you have a locker?

Reviving this old thread because noone ever said what they found that truely fixed this problem. My truck does this too. I notice it under acceleration almost all of the time and under decel sometimes. If I just throttle it ever so slightly, it will not make the noise, but when I step into the throttle a bit more, it gets to howling. This kinda makes me think pinion bearings or backlash in the front diff. Like its putting extra force onto the bearings under heavier accel and decel, but when it's just being asked to keep a constant speed, the pinion and bearings are jiving just fine. I just picture the bearing shells having some wear on them to the point where they've lost a little material and when the driveline is not under heavy load, the bearings don't come together as they do when the truck is accelerated harder and with uneven wear on the bearings, this is when they get loud. What do you guys think? Any ideas, opinions?

I am having this problem, but I have a new hub for the passenger side, and gonna replace it soon. I would like to add that mine seams to be a 1 3/16 nut on the trans axle. I know on the how to, it says 1 1/4, but mine is just too loose with that one, and the 1 1/8 doesn't go on. Don't have the 1 3/16 with my impact sockets, but I am sure thats what it is. Oh yeah and I have a 2003 so maybe thats the differance. I also have some play on the back wheel to, so gonna change that bearing. On another note, its weird how you have to use the special additive with a limited slip. I mean there is hardly a differance on the ford ones to a none limited slip. I can understand on chevy, cause theirs have all sorts of little pieces and mechanisms built into their limited slips.

i responded a while back but I had my diff rebuilt with all bearings replaced and things are good...it did end up being the pinion bearings. Under 500 for the parts and labor

I am having this problem, but I have a new hub for the passenger side, and gonna replace it soon. I would like to add that mine seams to be a 1 3/16 nut on the trans axle. I know on the how to, it says 1 1/4, but mine is just too loose with that one, and the 1 1/8 doesn't go on. Don't have the 1 3/16 with my impact sockets, but I am sure thats what it is. Oh yeah and I have a 2003 so maybe thats the differance. I also have some play on the back wheel to, so gonna change that bearing. On another note, its weird how you have to use the special additive with a limited slip. I mean there is hardly a differance on the ford ones to a none limited slip. I can understand on chevy, cause theirs have all sorts of little pieces and mechanisms built into their limited slips.

Mine is an 1 1/4 socket for mine. Also the reasons for the additives are almost hidden from view. Its for the fricton pads behind the side gears that are in the center of your carrier. Chatters way bed if the additive isnt in there. Fords have those friction pads and steels between the carrier and the side gears and the spring in the middle pushes the side gears out against the pads and the carrier.
P.S. Still havent found my problem, both wheel bearings done, both CV's are new, front diff fully re-built, front driveline done and did the trnsfer case swap to. Still does it and it 100% for sure isnt in the rear so ? Next thing is engine mounts, tranny one was new when I did the T-Case swap.

i responded a while back but I had my diff rebuilt with all bearings replaced and things are good...it did end up being the pinion bearings. Under 500 for the parts and labor
Thanks Josh. So was your experience with this noise in your truck like mine where it would only do it under load wether that's accel or decel? I guess maybe I'll try a fluid change and add some new additive while I'm at it. It's worth a try before a diff removal and rebuild.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need help asap. I have a 2003 explorer with independant rear suspension, and I can't get the hub off to get to the wheel bearing. I need to replace it, and I have taken the nut off and the disc, but can't seam to figure it out. It has drum brakes on the inside of the rotor, for the parking brakes, and you can't take them off without taking the rotor off, so I am so confused.

Back