Bad bearing-like noise in front end | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad bearing-like noise in front end

The hub should be the bearings just like the front on our second gens. I don't have a third gen but from what I have sean on here. You could take the nut off which holds the CV to the hub. Then the rotor then the e-brake shoes then the brake caliper mount, then should be like three bolts that hold the whole hub on the truck! Anyways anyone chime in if I'm wrong,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found this for you, Thread about rear bearings
I guess they have to be pressed out of part of the rear of the truck. I didn't know that sorry. Most I have found searching here for a few min says its a half a day job with the right tools. Check this thread out is has a few things that will let you know what you need to do.

my 96 explorer makes a drill sound noise just under the driver side. like something is grinding in a circular motion it sound about the same as you guys. has anyone had anyluck with getting rid of it

I had a bearing "feel" fine on mine when I bought it, but it made noise, so I changed it. Even when I had it out, I couldn't feel anything wrong with it. But it did make the noise go away.

My truck only has a vibration at around 60mph and faster.. All of the other bearings have been replaced. I took this last drivers side bearing out... it felt smooth as butter. At $150 for the part I dont want to replace it if it is not the problem.. I hate chasing a fix with purchasing parts.

But what about this.. the problem has been around for months.. it is not your typical "bearing" issue. It doesnt make a whine noise.. it is a vibration at high speeds. Could it be a bearing?

Thanks

if it sounds like an airplane engine its a wheel bearing

its like a hum... I can describe it like that hum you hear when you have only one front window open when driving kinda fast.

I certainly know what an airplane engine sounds like.. I work below the wing for a major airline in Boston.

Im thinking half shaft. The car makes a CHIRP sound when driving. It also had that grabbing bind when a sharp turn was/is made. Im guessing CV joint in the driver's side half shaft. Both boots on the hafl shaft are good.

SIDE QUESTION: Can you remove the front drive shaft and drive the truck normal... for some distance? Im driving to upstate VT... 3+ hours each way

TRUCK: 2004 EXPLORER V8

its like a hum... I can describe it like that hum you hear when you have only one front window open when driving kinda fast.

I certainly know what an airplane engine sounds like.. I work below the wing for a major airline in Boston.

Im thinking half shaft. The car makes a CHIRP sound when driving. It also had that grabbing bind when a sharp turn was/is made. Im guessing CV joint in the driver's side half shaft. Both boots on the hafl shaft are good.

SIDE QUESTION: Can you remove the front drive shaft and drive the truck normal... for some distance? Im driving to upstate VT... 3+ hours each way

TRUCK: 2004 EXPLORER V8

I sure know the sound. It has haunted me for 5 years in out 05 Mountaineer. I blamed it on the BFG Mud and Snow tires. I could not WAIT till they wore out.

Then I put on some of the highest rated tires that I researched at several tire sites. Well, sound was much better, comparitively I would think GONE, but as time went by (a few weeks) I started hearing the same but lighter noise (hum). It has gotten worse a year later, and I only have 45,000 miles on the vehicle. Bought it to hit the road but I don't enjoy it due to the noise. Love how it drives, so I am thinking there is no answer but get a really LOUD stereo that shakes the glass in nearby cars. Only solution?

Ford, you think I would recommend this vehicle? You think I could even consider another?

I draggerd my mechanic by the short hairs and went for a ride on the High-way. He heard it.. My noise really kicks in at 60-65 and sticks there. It is a steady hum/vibration. I have replaced everything that he would have suggested. When we got back to the shop he got under the car. He felt the play in the front drive shaft and thinks there is too much. Earlier this year I replaced only the 2 front tires. Because of the automatic 4 wheel drive the car jumped. The front tires were bigger.. same size tire as the rears but not worn at all so their diameter was bigger. I replaced the rear tires and it drove fine. We are now thinking that that short period I drove the car with the 4x4 kicking in may have stretched the chain in the TC. We think the front drive shaft not spinning at the right time or something ( I dont know how it works in there ) is causing the hum/vibration. My mechanic has a used TC in a parts vehicle. We are going to swap it to see if the hum goes away.

Follow me? Ill post what happens.

Mine is but a lowly 2 wheel drive.

I have a 99 Super Duty with 70 pounds of air in "E" load rated tires that is a dream to drive! That makes this even more of a screamer....

Drove my Dad's Santa Fe on a road rip Saturday and it has NO NOISE! Very pleasant to drive that vehicle. Really!

At the low mileage on this vehicle, I hate to start throwing money at it, but will get my mechanic to drive it and probably try new Hubs if he suggests it. I'll let them come up with a plan on this. I would tend to shotgun it by replacing shocks, rotors, calipers, and hubs if I do it myself. But MAN I can't stand to put all that into a truck with 44k on it!

The noise on mine now kicks in at 30 and it has a pretty good vibration in the steering wheel too. It thins out a small amount till 65 where it is just about gone. Driving at 40-45 will make you goofy! Foot off gas then all the way down to 25 it roars (pads and rotors are good).....this happens even if not hitting brakes.

This sounds like a serious problem with the truck. I think FMC masks it on new vehicles with the Mud & Snow tires....intentionally. Wish we could prove that. Why else put them on a vehicle like this? They don't even do that on many Pickups.

Any 2WDs in here solved the issue? Would you use shotgun approach (literally, about ready)?

Thanks Josh. So was your experience with this noise in your truck like mine where it would only do it under load wether that's accel or decel? I guess maybe I'll try a fluid change and add some new additive while I'm at it. It's worth a try before a diff removal and rebuild.

My 2000 is making that noise and I'm wondering if a fluid change will make any difference...hmmmm,the knucklehead I bought the truck from was clueless so I know he never serviced it.Let me know how it works out for you.:D

My 2000 is making that noise and I'm wondering if a fluid change will make any difference...hmmmm,the knucklehead I bought the truck from was clueless so I know he never serviced it.Let me know how it works out for you.:D

Worked out great! I took to my trusty mechanic, NOT FMC, and they drove it and said, left front Hub is bad. Replaced it and I am a HAPPY CAMPER!

So nice to be rid of the noice!

don

I had same problem on my left side, turned out that it was the wheel hub assembly. I got a good one from a pull your own junk yard. $20. Motor craft. Just changed it out today, noise gone & abs light gone. lol

I have just been through this noise myself. Could have sworn it was a Wheel bearing as the noise changed on cornering, decel, accel etc, However it was the front diff, My warranty company replaced with a second hand diff which has done the same thing after 5k, go figure, this is about to be replaced again this week. Will keep you posted if noise has gone.
On the wheel bearing saga, I am told i need to replace hub assembly??
Really, cannot press bearings out and replace??

No, I guess the next step is to get my rotors turned. The wheel bearings felt good the last time I had everything apart, so I'm out of ideas as to what could be causing my noise and roughness felt through the floor boards.

CV's?

Hey mate, Would pay to get it up on a hoist, run it up and climb under with a stethoscope. at least you can check your diffs and bearings then.

Explod r

bump on an old thread..... i haven't driven my X much since Ouray, mainly since I only live 2 miles from work (yay for bikes and scooters!) but i'm a bit injured at the moment and have been driving a bit more the last few weeks.

anywho - i've got the same groaning/rumbly sound coming from what feels/sounds like the front. had new pads/rotors put on the front in the summer, or spring, so not sure if it is that. it's also a bit more bouncy up front then it was before, but my shocks are baaad and need to go so i'm guessing it's unrelated.

i know i have a slow leak in the front diff- the oil changer guy noticed it last year. since then, i've been doing my own oil changes, etc, but i'm wondering if maybe that has something to do with it. i'm no mechanical pro, but if somebody gives me something to look for i can track it down. i just hate taking it in without having an idea first.
thanks guys-

Hi Jenni, I had oil leaking out of my seals also, was a sure sign diff was bad, unfortunately i have had it replaced with a second hand 1 which has the same problem, argghhhh, so the noise never went away, Truck is going in this week to try again. I will keep you posted.

Back