bad cats/how to proceed (home removal?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bad cats/how to proceed (home removal?)

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
I have at least 1 or 2 bad cats on my truck (they rattle like all hell)

considering my truck is hardly ever driven on the street etc. etc. how would you proceed?

who has mil eliminators that work? and where did you get them? i have some friends who have purchased them and had them not work and others who had no problems- i want to get the good ones.

should i leave the front two cats in/replace them if necessary?

are the cats basically "straight" so i could weld in my own pipe at home in their place rather than having to take it to an exhaust shop? has anyone done that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the cats arent really straight, they have a bunch of catalyst plates inside to filter about the carbon monoxide and unburnt fuel, but the environment can wait when more power is at hand

u could just use a lawn stake and a hammer to knock out the catalyst and get great flow, just take out the o2 sensor before hand. welding a straight pipe in its place would be even better

i ended up just welding up some 2.5" in place of the rear two cats and moving the muffler "up" about 4" (so it wouldn't drag anymore when i was all the way aired out). It was a bit more work than i was expecting to do that, but i got it done in my garage with hand tools and a welder in a day or so.

-drew

jtsmith- i'm running a dual in dual out magnaflow muffler- x pipe probably would have helped, but it basically has an H internal design and i figured for my heavy truck/no real expectations of performance i may as well not do the X

Back