• Register Today It's free!

Bad day for the X

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
When it rains, it definitely pours- and yesterday was a fricking monsoon! It even started out bad with a couple of my root canal patients no-showing me, a guy getting ticked off that needs dentures, and then...to boot, I find my 97 in the parking garage with a nice gash in the passenger rocker panel. No note, no phone number, nothing- just a nice big dent that extended into the rear passenger side door also. On top of that, my X has been terminally diagnosed with rear cassette issues, even the dealer recommended replacing the engine due to the high mileage.
So my question, 152K miles on the ol' girl with a new Ford tranny (now has 20K miles), new transfer case (about 10K miles) and now a failing rear cassette that was quoted a 1600 bucks to fix: the symptoms don't match the diagnosis. The ticky-ticky noise is coming from the front driver's side of the engine and is also noticeable during heavier acceleration 2800-3000 RPM. Based on my searches, that would seem to indicate that it is not the rear cassette, right? I'm wondering if the stealership is doing what they do best and giving me a load. I can hear a ticking noise from the left valve covers and it is more pronounced when I remove the oil cap. Rough idle is also plaguing my truck. Realistically, the engine sounds great, performs great and really has been a great powerplant. I just have problems believing that the rear cassette is the failing component given that this is far more rare of an occurrence.
With regards to the dent, a little bug & tar remover, a rubber malet and a 2X4 seems to have fixed much of that issue. I might still have to have the rocker panel replaced but I wouldn't figure that would be much...
Suggestions?
Thanks guys,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure what to tell you about the engine issue.

Just wanted to say that I know how you feel about someone denting your Explorer and fleeing the scene of the crime. I used to work in a store at a shopping center and have had my driver's side rear door dented in and my front bumper has some nice scrapes in it from 3 different occasions. I do a little off-roading when I can but have never gotten any damage from that, only body damage on my Ex is from other people being ignorant @$$holes. :mad:

It really is infuriating. Sounds like you've had a couple of bouts with it too, sorry to hear about that. Shopping centers can be hell of a car, and there is really no rhyme or reason for it either- that's what makes it so frustrating!:mad:
I just hope it hurt the other guy's car more!:D Based on the nice, big paint smear he left, I'd imagine his car felt it a little bit.

Just to confirm where the tick is coming from, you could get a cheap automobile stethoscope and pin point it. You never know, it could be something else.

Just to confirm where the tick is coming from, you could get a cheap automobile stethoscope and pin point it. You never know, it could be something else.

What?!?!?! Why would the dealership have any desire to lie to me about this??? ;)
Yeah, great point. I had heard that a long, flat-head screwdriver made a good stethoscope and I have since tried that but it didn't really tell me much. A ticking noise was slightly identified in the rear of the engine, so they might be telling the truth. It can be very difficult to pinpoint noises, the engine bay is just one big resonating chamber.
I did, however, find a nice vacuum leak so I have that to look forward to fixing though that shouldn't be too tough. Chances are the rough idling and kinda weak performance up a hill can be attributed to that. If the rear cassette is gonzo, I'm thinking I must just drive this car until it fails, I've heard some people can ride these babies quite a bit of miles until they actually fail. Since the noise is just ticking right now, I'm hoping I have some time, though that can change any time I suppose to...

After searching for a couple of hours, I am wondering if the stealership is trying to pull one over me. If the clattering is only heard at idle with the hood open and does not increase with throttle response (or is likely drowned out by the engine sound), wouldn't that indicate a faulty rear hydraulic tensioner, not necessarily rear cassette? The engine doesn't sound ANYTHING at all like that one on the youtube video that someone was kind enough to post a while back. It sounds pretty good, it's just a ticking that seemes to be getting slightly louder as time goes by. Is there any way to determine if it is the rear tensioner as opposed to the entire rear assembly?
At this point, I'm thinking I might just buy a new front and rear tensioner and replace the intake O-rings and see what does. It seems simple enough and not all that expensive.
BTW- am I right in saying that no special tools are required to change the rear hydraulic tensioner??? It should just be a simple: remove passenger tire, remove inner fender splash guard, find tensioenr- yank er out and replace...or am I wrong? I guess I am confused as to whether the motor has to be removed to access the rear tensioner. I hear some say yes and others say no. I am really hoping that the noise is a manifestation of worn tensioners, and I am REALLLLLLLLY hoping that the rear tensioner is accessible without a cherry-picker. I did once remove a 2.9L from an old Bronco II, and I just really don't feel like doing that again! Anywho, SOHC gurus- school me! :D

bumpety-bump

sorry to hear that bout ur explorer

I know the 5.0's are prone to broken exhaust manifolds that make that kind of sound, has anyone seen the same for the 4.0's?

I know there is a thread that tells how to diagnose the crack/tick problem in a 5.0, maybe it's the same for the 4.0?

Back