Bluetooth for stock 97 radio. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bluetooth for stock 97 radio.

ja-chord

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer sport xlt
Has anyone found a bluetooth adapter that will work with the stock radio in a 97. The radio is CD changer capable but the CD changer was never installed so I doubt that the wiring harness is under the center console. I know it would be cheaper and easier to install a new radio but my daughter likes the cassette player. Looking for options other than the cassette adapter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most people to connect a phone to a older Ford radio get a cassette deck to aux adapter, that gets you the sound output if you want to stream music off your phone. Otherwise I've never seen anything.

I have a device that plugs into the Power Port. It picks up your phones bluetooth, and sends the signal to the radio via FM frequency. Works well for music, phones calls, etc.

I have a device that plugs into the Power Port. It picks up your phones bluetooth, and sends the signal to the radio via FM frequency. Works well for music, phones calls, etc.

I would like to second this. The adapter is really worth it's weigh in gold. I have a similar one for my wife's 97 Mountaineer and it works excellent and made it simple to add blue tooth for your phone and to heard music from your cell phone.

I just installed a newer stereo with Bluetooth built in. You can get them pretty cheap now, and there not difficult to install. Just do the wiring harness first outside of vehicle, and then it's plug and play.

Usually if you live in a city with a lot of radio stations the FM transmitterse are troublesome finding an “open” station. They also don’t sound that great.

I do believe there is a way to connect a new interface cable to the changer control port, but I might be thinking of iPod control.

do you have a cd changer in the center console? If so, use this:
Ford Lincoln auxiliary audio input interface adapters PIE FRDW-AUX

And then, use a bluetooth adapter that plugs in to the aux adapter:
Android bluetooth audio input interface adapter iSimple iSFM21 oem radio aux in fm stereo

Iv'e been o the fence about this. I keep thinking that if I'm going to make the change, I should really go all the way and have something that I can use my phone on the radio's bluetooth. That's a new head unit unfortunately.

Headunits have gotten so cheap, and easy, it’s hard to not justify them.

Sound quality is best if you can use aux. input methods. Bluetooth sound is definitely marginal in quality.

I too used to be 100 percent in agreement with sound quality being best with only aux. input devices. I have a similar unit like the newer generation Bluetooth devices "Traveler" linked to now be very good sound and equal quality to the aux. inputs. They also provide a wider range of possible open FM stations frequencies plus make it much easier to find that sweet spot without any stations interference. A little $17.00 Bluetooth experiment might just surprise those who hasn't tried these newer units. Amazon makes it easy to return if you don't like it.

I mentioned this thread to my wife and now she wants one for her 05 Mercedes. But only if shecan use Pandora through her phone. LoL

I mentioned this thread to my wife and now she wants one for her 05 Mercedes. But only if shecan use Pandora through her phone. LoL

I use my unit in my wife's Mountaineer for Pandora listening plus SiriusXm radio streaming both from my IPhone and it has been outstanding. My wife loves it. I am expecting to get her a newer vehicle, so I didn't want to invest in getting a newer aftermarket radio and wasting my time and effort. I have an Pioneer AVH4200 with all the works in my other Explorer Sport and the mentioned little Bluetooth adapter gives it an run for the money.

Back