• Register Today It's free!

Bad front ujoints.

TNR

Reaction score
City, State
New Britian, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT
My front Ujoints on the axles are going bad.. When I first lock the hubs, they are quiet, but then after awhile driving, in 4x or not, they start to squeak each revolution. Im assuming this means they are just starting to go out.. so let me ask you this, on these first gen 'sploders, what would happen if I had a ujoint shatter? would I lose a wheel off the truck, or would the front axle affected just drop and drag?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the u-joint goes you risk destroying the inner axle, stub axle or having the wheel lock up. Changing the u-joints is not that difficult of a job and would be a lot cheaper than having to replace multiple parts if you ignore them and they fail. Also remember, parts only fail when you need to rely on them the most!

Most of the time it is the stub axle U-joints (near the steering knuckles) that go out.. Over time the lube dries out and eventually allows moiture in which slowly grinds the needle bearings into dust. Generally these U-joints will last about 100K (on road) and considerably less if your X is driven Off-road. IMO you should replace the U-joints (and ball-joints since you'll have 95% of the parts removed anyway) and get your front end back into shape. If a stub axle U-joint were to fail it will allow the axle to flop around at the diff (not good) which will trash the oil seal and begin leaking gear oil. Check out the U-joint Links in my sig for more info and pics.

IMO Replacing the Drive shaft U-joints are relatively easy, but the stub axle u-joints can be very troublesome if you've never done it before (learning curve)... It took me an entire weekend to do this job the 1st time (whereas I can now do it in 4 hours or so)...

I was 400 miles from home in wyoming last month. Locked in my hubs and heard a noise. Thought it was one of my lock outs. my u joints were bad, to the tune of $225. If i'd been home could of saved on the labor. Best to do it before something bad happens. I will check my back ones soon as i can.

mrboyle said:
If the u-joint goes you risk destroying the inner axle, stub axle or having the wheel lock up. Changing the u-joints is not that difficult of a job and would be a lot cheaper than having to replace multiple parts if you ignore them and they fail. Also remember, parts only fail when you need to rely on them the most!

An update, I got them replaced (since I dont have a lift atm) but something is still squeaking on each revolution. Only when the hubs are locked. Mind you, this "squeaking" is not nearly as bad as before. Now its only during slowing down when Im about to stop, and its intermittent.
Do you think I still have ujoint issues? Or could it be something else? (Brakes were just done, but noise is still present when braking)

You do not need a lift, just a jack and some jack stands. When Changing out the U-joints you or your mechanic should have also checked the condition of the spindle bearing.. This <$10 caged needle bearing is in the inner part of the spindle and supports the stub axle shaft (nearest the rubber seal in the pic below).
18205Removed_Spindle.jpg

Update:

On the squeak issue.
I got the sploder on a lift for awhile and dug around with it idling in 4wd.
After nearly losing a few fingers, I found that the front end propeller shaft has a rubber boot on it, when I pulled back the boot, I found it to be a shaft that slides apart and together. I puked some grease in there with a needle on the grease gun and the squeaking was affected, its not gone, but its much less apparent. Is there any other places I could look as well to grease up? (all u's have been replaced except for the center between the two drive shafts)

ok i am new to this to i put on manual hubs if i lock them mening the front end is locked into the wheels but i DONT push the transfercase button it sounds normal maby a little more vibration but seems nomal, its when i push 4x4 button i hear a humming noice and i cant remeber if its normal or not its been a while sence ive used 4x4, could it be my front driveshaft ujoints,

Back