Bad Motor Mount?

taxx

Make em say Ugh
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
73 EB
OK so I have tried so many other things to deal with my vibration and keep hearing it could be a bad motor mount. How can you tell if a motor mount is bad? Tranny mount?

How hard is it to change the two motor mounts? For as cheap as they(compared to a new truck) are I might just go ahead and change them. But I would like to know if you can tell if they are bad without removing them.

Thanks
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does the engine shift when you put it in gear?

about the vibration, did you check the U joints?

New U-joints about 6 months ago. The ford Service Bulliten says to replace the shocks and the motor and tranny mounts for this vibration. My shocks are pretty new RS 9000's and so this is realy the last thing to try. bearings are ok.

By does it shift when you put it in gear I assume you mean can I feel the engine move or jolt? Sometimes i have noticed it. i will go see.

you can feel it going in to gear, but I don't know how much of that is normal.:confused:

Can you post the symptoms of your vibration? I was on a long road trip this weekend (roughly 800 miles round trip) and noticed a very unnerving vibration above 65 mph and below 80 mph. The vibration was most previlent between 65-80, but was still there at 80, but less sever. I haven't searched yet, but this was alarming to say the least. This was the first time in almost two years that I have driven the X on the highway ... it's my wife's car now and I rarely drive it above 65.

I will try to find mine from before later. but if you search for vibration and my username you will see it.

bump!:p

bump!:p

come on guys I know someone out there knows!

When you put the truck in gear and felt it jolt, did you have the hood up so you could see the engine? When I had a set of bad motor mounts, the engine would really rock about inside the engine compartment.

I will check that tonight.

From another post.

You can also stick it in drive or reverse, hit the brakes, and rev it up. You will see it rise more than an inch or two. If its the other side, you will have to try and jack up that side of the engine. But that side hardly ever goes since all the torque is on the other side.

Well it is hard for me to tell how much it is moving. However when idling the thing shakes like crazy. What would cause that, bad motor mount?

yes, a bad motor mount will allow the engine to shake while it's running. you can usually notice it when you put it into gear (if you have an auto trans)

hmmm well I guess it is time to pull that one off and have a looksy. is it that hard?

i never messed with it myself. i had a mechanic do it.

Back