Bad O2 sensor?

Anthony17

Reaction score
City, State
Radford, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hey all,
When I first got my 2000 Explorer EB last week, it had the check engine light on. Got it checked out, it said bad o2 sensor. So before I replace it I wanted to do my weekend fixes first. When I changed out the fuel filter, that made the check engine light go away. A day later, the check engine light is back on. Haven't had it checked yet, but I guarantee it's the o2 sensor again. Does this mean one of them is going bad and the new fuel filter fixed it for a day? Or could it be the wiring? Are there any tests or checks I can do to see if it's actually bad? Would love to hear your opinions.
Edit: From my memory, the previous code I was getting was a P0036. Which indicates bank 1 sensor 2.

I would suggest getting the forscan software and then you can see the response of the O2 sensors. If you happened to disconnect the battery for the fuel filter change it would clear the codes. Forscan.org, you can search the forum about forscan, but it is free, you just need a cheap connector to connect your laptop. It gives you a lot more information than just a code reader.

So an OBD-II to USB connector off of Amazon will work as long as I download the software on my laptop?

That is what I have, I got mine from eBay for about $6 and amazingly it works. You may want to search the forum to see where others got theirs and Amazon is likely to be a more reliable source. I know some have blue tooth elm-327 connectors that they use with iPhones. Mine is Obdii to usb to my laptop, it is amazing all the things you can see with the forscan software and the price is unbeatable.

Back