Balance Shaft Tensioner Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Balance Shaft Tensioner Question

hfdff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xls
My question is does anyne know how many of the I will call them flat steel springs are on the balance shaft chain tensioner? I found 2 pieces but not sure of how many of them are on the tensioner. I have looked at the pic on 2000Streetrod's post about balance shaft timing procedure, but I can't tell how many their are. Thanks for the replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to get the balance shaft sprocket off of the crank. Does anyone know how to take it off. The keyway on the sprockt hits the keyway on the crank. Thanks for the replies.

Pull the key with a pair of pliers and it will slide off. I had to tap my key with a hammer and punch to break it loose. You don't need to take the balance shaft sprocket off, only the sprocket on the crank.

Tried tapping it doesn't seem as though it wants to move. Tried pulling it up with a pair of channel locks and nothing. Should I use vice grips. Thx

Update was able to get out. I wound up having to use a putty knife to get underneath the lip of the woodruff key. Then wad able to work it by tapping and using some small flat head screw drivers to pry it up easily being careful not to damage the cranck. Thx for the reply.

Careful putting them back in. Make sure you dont put the jackshaft to crank one on backwards. Its a pain to flip it, and it will cost you a tty bolt to turn properly.

Back