Ball joints, but different each side?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ball joints, but different each side?!

markwillenbrock

Reaction score
City, State
Fes, Morocco
Year, Model & Trim Level
We've just been looking at the play in the ball joints on my '98 Explorer.

While scratching heads, we noticed that the top suspension links seem to be different each side, with the right side (from the driving seat) having some sort of adjustment.

Is this normal?

I have photos if anyones interested - and if I can work out how to post them!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is how they came from factory. The right side allows for camber adjustment.

its normal all of our Gen II trucks are like that

when replacing upper ball joints you have two options:
get the passenger side outer piece only
or
get a new upper control arm on the passenger side that does not have the extra adjustment

We've just been looking at the play in the ball joints on my '98 Explorer.

While scratching heads, we noticed that the top suspension links seem to be different each side, with the right side (from the driving seat) having some sort of adjustment.

Is this normal?

I have photos if anyones interested - and if I can work out how to post them!

I recently bought an 01 Sport 4x4, and when I was shopping for tires, one tire shop told me I needed to replace the ball joints and passenger side control arm...saying something about it being a common Ford Explorer problem. However, when I asked my regular mechanic to check the ball joints and front suspension, he said it looked ok. He doesn't do alignments, so I had an alignment done by another tire shop and nothing was said about ball joints or control arms.

What should I be keeping an eye on as time goes on? Will the handling deteriorate if the ball joints are bad...increased tire wear...or what? Is there a ballpark figure for the cost of repair?
Thanks,
Jim

Thanks very much for all your responses. My local North African mechanic, who has never seen an Explorer, thought it might be a non standard part. Having taken a look at the 'odd' wishbone, it did look like it might have been a non standard part.

It's good to know it's normal...

Back