• Register Today It's free!

Ball Joints...

Blrob

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
I believe my ball joints are bad, the lowers. I'm hearing alot of squeaking when turning left or right and going over bumps. Is that a sign of them going? What exactly do ball joints do? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ball joints act like hinges on a door and allow the wheels to turn left and right. The ball joints are pressed into the Steering knuckle (1st pic) and the 2nd pic is of the steering knuckle re-installed. Generally ball joints should be rock solid, as such with the wheels pointed straight jack up a front wheel and grab it at 12 & 6 o'clock and try rocking the wheel it shouldn't move at all.. Normally when you get a vehicle inspection they perform this check. A ball joint failure will cause alot of damage so they should be replaced if they are bad. I would replace both upper and lowers (on a 1st gen) since ball joints are relatively cheap and you'd already have all the components removed when doing just one.

205Restored_Steering_knuckle_ready_for_install_WEB.jpg

18205Restored_Steering_knuckle_WEB.jpg

wow if never fails rocha you always have nice thread ready pics with painted parts. You are an assset to the site.

Thank you Charlie... I have the tools so when I have projects I can take the extra time to restore parts... Of course my rig is no trailer queen and it sees its share of use and abuse..

Back