Balljoints round 2. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Balljoints round 2.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure the looseness up front is Ball joints again and not Radial Arm Bushings?

What's going on that you suspect Ball Joints?

Are you sure the looseness up front is Ball joints again and not Radial Arm Bushings?

What's going on that you suspect Ball Joints?

well i know it's definitely up in the front suspension. the RAB's are getting replaced as well this summer. in fact, i'm replacing the entire front suspension just about, new shocks, springs, ball joints, bearings, bushings, anything i can think of. this vehicle needs to last about another 2-3 years or so.

i've also jacked it up and done the play test, when my buddy was moving the tire, i can see the balljoint's play, i think they're the wrong ones, cause i have that bolt down as hard as i can go, and it's still moving...

Yeah, something is wrong there. That pinch bolt should, well, Pinch the upper Ball joint.

2-3 years isn't that much time. Heck I have over 300K miles on my 'X' and I have not done the Springs. And maybe just repack the Bearings.

I have three cars with over 300K miles..Never had to do bearings. I just repack them every 100K miles.

Save some of Grammas money. : )

Yeah, something is wrong there. That pinch bolt should, well, Pinch the upper Ball joint.

2-3 years isn't that much time. Heck I have over 300K miles on my 'X' and I have not done the Springs. And maybe just repack the Bearings.

I have three cars with over 300K miles..Never had to do bearings. I just repack them every 100K miles.

Save some of Grammas money. : )

well this summer i'll be working my summer job, only lasts for 12 weeks but it pays pretty decent. i'm replacing the springs with 2" lowering springs, i want to lower the stance just a little bit... i've replaced my bearings once before, but there's a horrible grinding sound when driving slower, and i've narrowed it down to something relating to the tires, my mechanic thinks it's the bearings so i'm going to pay him to change them on friday.. or after i do the balljoints...

i have a lot of plans this summer for the explorer. i just hope i'm able to do all of them.

Back