Problems with Alignment... balljoint trouble? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems with Alignment... balljoint trouble?

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
A few months ago, I tore into my front suspension, and changed all four (upper/lower both sides) ball joints.

I got the spindles off with no problem, but had to go to a local shop to have the joints pressed out/in.

After having the new balljoints in, I went to Jiffylube (about 3 miles) and had them greased up. I then waited until the next morning to go to the tire shop and have the front end aligned. That day they said it was fine, and that the "pull" that was still there was caused by low tread on one tire.

So 2 weeks later I bought new tires for the front, and went back so they could 'finish' the alignment. That day, they told me the upper balljoints were bad, and had play in them, so they coudl not do the alignment because the "explorer won't hold it".

I went home, checked it myself, and realized I had not tightened the balljoints enough, so I took the tires off again, and just tightened them down hand tight. I'm goign to Savannah on Tuesday, which is a 2.5-3 hour drive, and I'm hoping to try and get this issue ironed out.

I'm going to the shop again first thing tomorrow morning, to talk to the parts supervisor, and see if he can show me if they're actually bad. I'm just tired of this vehicle giving me so much trouble, I've never been able to have it steer true and straight.

and yes to those that might wonder, I did check the bearings for play, and it's not them (got to replace those i think, that's another day).

Any advice for what I can do? I don't have any money right now, all I have is a credit card through the company...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all the replies...

Anways, just got home from the Tire shops, here's what's up....

Balljoints have play in them, they think
Bearings have play in them, they think
Steering Gear Box has three inches of play either way.

They said it wasn't safe to drive.... but I have no other vehicle.

better goto pull-apart.....if the south atlanta location dont have have any gear boxes then goto to the one off of buford highway ( pull-apart north)...i know they got at least 10-14 of them ...all first gen x's

yeah man, we got one here in augusta. it's just a bunch of work....

if i can get out there i'll do it, but i really got to be up to the task... main thing is this, i want to make sure if i do get a steering gear box, it's in good shape... how do you tell?

ahh...thats a good one....i guess anytime you go to a yard it's always a crap shoot but i would look for leaking around the gear box area like around the pitman arm and i guess the hose areas too ,as far as the actual gears inside and their condition i guess look for a explorer with the least amount of miles on it ...less miles = less wear and tear ...always been my golden rule.

this is true. this is true. i wonder if there's a way to find out what other vehicles used the same gear box, so i could expand my search. im' going to guess the rangers, and perhaps aerostar vans? anyone else have any ideas?

and they can cross reference a part to can't they?

Theat gear (steering) box has been used for years...

I've used boxes from the following vehicles (swapped between them)..

1992 explorer
1991 explorer
1984 e-150
1991 e-150
1991 f-150 (I'm 90% sure its a 1991)..

I also got one from an f-250, but I don't know what year it came from.

The difference between them was always the pitman arm.. just use your old one.

~Mark

Theat gear (steering) box has been used for years...

I've used boxes from the following vehicles (swapped between them)..

1992 explorer
1991 explorer
1984 e-150
1991 e-150
1991 f-150 (I'm 90% sure its a 1991)..

I also got one from an f-250, but I don't know what year it came from.

The difference between them was always the pitman arm.. just use your old one.

~Mark

thanks man. how has your success been using a used box? good? bad? fair?

i know i can't expect performance like a brand new box has been, but 3 inches of play just ain't good at all. i get paid on friday, maybe i'll do it that day.

I replaced mine twice.. factory box was leaking...

The junk yard box just didn't feel right after a couple years.. (turns out it was ok)..

The one from the '91 e-150 is currently on the X and so far so good.

One thing to try before you buy a new one.. There is an adjustment you can turn that might tighten up the box.

Its on the top of the box.. loosen the nut some.. then turn the screw (stud the nut is on) clockwise to tighten the mesh between the gears in the box. You want a little play, but not much. You need a little play, don't tighten it up completely.. At one point I had it too tight and the steering was stiff and wound't return to center. I have since found out it is also bad for the gears.. you could break them while driving if you have no play.

When checking for play I grabbed the steering shaft and rotated it by hand and watched when the pitman arm moved. Once I got to just a little play I stopped adjusting.

~Mark

i'll go look at it now. thanks for the tip.

is it a screw screw, like flathead or phillips, or is it somethign i can do by hand?

i just took a look at it, and holy cow, there's got to be a leak somewhere to. lol.

it's really packed in there, i don't have a lift, but i have some jackstands, will that give me enough clearance?

any tips for getting to the nut, i didn't see it under there.

time to check the haynes manual

The adjustment screw is on the top of the steering box. best to get it from the top (use a short screwdriver). I don't have inner fenderwells so I just reach over the tire :)

The screw is a flathead screw, but breaking it free from the locking nut will be hard if you haven't ever moved it before.. Spray some PBblaster there to help break it free.

~Mark

this'll be fun. lol.

i'm going to go take a look again, and see if i can find it...

just so cramped in there

i see it now, i just can't get to it, my hands are just to big....

i think i'm going to see if i can turn the wheels all the way to the left and get to it that way

Back