• Register Today It's free!

Banging noise underneath

RichardSlay

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I just bought a 2016 Explorer Sport with 117K miles. Of course this didn't happen during the test drive but now, occasionally, when I'm lightly accelerating and let off the gas around 30-40 mph I hear a banging sound under the car for a half second. It sounds like it's in the middle underneath. I don't think it has anything to do with the wind since it's not consistent and stops after half a second. Also it seems to occur as the transmission upshifts when I let off the gas. I do have a warranty since I bought it from Carmax but thought someone might have an idea of where to look. TIA

Added short clip with noise. Was accelerating and then let off the gas pedal.

Attachments

• Explorer noise short clip.mp4
    919.9 KB

Make a visual check of all the suspension components and bushings looking for damage or deterioration. Give everything a vigorous 10 second push/pull/shake while you watch and listen. Do the same for the motor and transmission mounts. Next do the same for the exhaust components, the muffler clamps and the exhaust hangers. Look over the exhaust parts for any shiny places that would indicate recent contact with other metal parts.

Scroll to the bottom of this page for other similar threads.

Isn't the tranny mount notorious for failing sooner than it should?

The transmission mount is technically a roll restrictor. If the rubber insert wears away, it will produce the sound your are describing, especially when accelerating right after decelerating.

Back