bass skips head unit, what do i do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bass skips head unit, what do i do?

1meanGTA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer
well i got everything hooked up in my truck, other than doing the big 3 and putting in my alternator. so, it will be quite a bit louder, but already, when i get on it, the head unit skips.

what do you guys do to dampen vibration around the cd player, i know there are louder people than me here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you using MP3s or CDs? I would burn a brand new CD and then try it.

That's really strange that your CD player is skipping. I haven't had any issues with mine, and I'm running the same HU. If it is a CD-R or R/W, then I'd try boominX's suggestion and re-burning your CD. Sometimes blank CDs have defects and cause the songs to skip. If that doesn't work, then I'd try a lens cleaner CD.

Good luck...

i dont like listening to mp3's. these are brand spankin new cd's. i looked at the link in your sig, i think i may be a tad louder. i'm easily doing high 140's, and should break 50's with the electrical upgrades. you can barely breathe in there if i play some bass heavy rap.

btw, alternator is in, and im taking a break from doing the big 3 now so it should be getting pretty crazy in about an hour.

Oh yeah, I'm sure what you're runnin' is louder than mine, but it still amazes me that the CD skips. I don't have the manual handy, but I wonder if our decks have a memory buffer to prevent skipping. Does your player only skip on the bass notes?

The only suggestion I have left is to look into an iPod, Zen, or other MP3 player if your bass is reaching "CD skipping" volumes.

Good luck...

Well, when my cd player skipped when I used to have my six twelves...:)

I was on an old mic...Not sure which one, but I hit a 152. Well my cd player would start skipping and you could put pressure on it from either the top or bottom with your hand and it would stop skipping. I actually ended up sticking some popsicle sticks under mine to create some added support and pressure under the head unit and it stopped skipping.

it does have a memory buffer, it will play fine for 15 or 20 seconds, then start skipping, and if i dont turn it down, it says error 3 and stops playing altogether.

i just remembered though, our decks also can store like 6 cd's on the internal hard drive, i can put all my really loud songs on there and be fine.

There ya go.

I completely forgot about the internal HD.

Problem solved ...at least until you run out of space :D

its only certain frequencies that does it. young jeezy trap or die is probably the most brutal song i've played, the pressure on your chest and feeling in your throat and stomach is ridiculous, but it wont skip it. i put on gucci mane trap house, skips in 15 seconds everytime. both songs are continuous bass.

so 6 cd's worth ought to be more than enough for the rap songs that do skip it.

the system i used to have would make cds skip real bad if they were regular cds, but if i had a mp3 cd, it would never skip at all

Actually is not very hard to do so.....i had the factory cd changer in the 96. With two Rockford fosgates 10"s when i reached 3/4 of the max volume the changer started to skip very badly.....and that was playing "missy elliot`s my people" .

Its my fault after all, i dont wanna change to a decent aftermarket headunit...

Back