• Register Today It's free!

why does cd player skip so bad?

hiridin

Reaction score
City, State
tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer 4x4
first off i'll start out by saying before my explorer i had an s10 with 3 15" subs and a cheap $150 jvc cd player. never skipped. the whole dash jumping up and down right along with everything else and still kept playing. i get my explorer i buy myself a $450 "100% skip proof cd player. i kept only 2 of my 15's am pushing them off a 1100 watt amp. cd player skips when i turn it up. by the way this deck was professionally installed... anyways never could turn my music up all the ways it just skips. brand new cd, old cd it made no difference. well the pos sony crapped out on me after a year. figured that was my problem its a sony. i buy high end pioneer... another $400 something dollars. heard extremely loud systems with pioneer cd player play right on through it. much louder systems than just my 2 15's. i get it in and turn it up all the ways it still skips. can't turn my music up all the ways. it skips. what am i doing wrong? how can i fix it? what could be the problem? i now bought a in dash dvd player/screen combo that i'm going to put in. and i'm positive i'll still have the skipping problem. what can i do..? other than an ipod or something. please someone help me :( is there a better way to install it or what? have u had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey sorry no help here but i am definately wondering the same thing i get horrible skipping just driving with out the music pumping good luck

my pioneer 6500 never skips??

are you sure it's actually skipping and not losing power or anything?

My Alpine never skips...

my pioneer never skips, even if i like run off curbs or somethin

i think i might have possibly solved the problem. back when i had my first deck "professionally" installed i now believe it was incorrect. i guess... anyways after my sony crapped out i bought the pioneer and installed it identically to the sony. just like the installer did. and just like the sony it skipped when i turned it up too loud. then with my screen that i installed yesterday i double checked all the instructions and blah blah blah. now while neither the install kit nor the instructions helped in any way except to give me a general idea of what to do... the kit was garbage and the instructions didn't apply to any of my pieces or my truck for that matter... figures :rolleyes: so i custom did everything and modified the brackets and rigged up my own way of doing it. keeping the general idea in mind. and so far no skipping. (fingers crossed) i'll find out this weekend just how it works. so what did i do different? i supported the ass end of the player with a rigged up bracket and bolt and a rubber bushing which i assume absorbs shocks. my sony and my pioneer were merely supported from the front. which seemed plenty sturdy. but if i'm correct apparently it was not. anyways i thinks thats what it was and i just had a lousy install. then i coppied the lousy install and had myself another lousy install :thumbdwn: anyways maybe thats the deal. yours skips cuz it simply isn't installed correctly. i'll let u know if i have any problems...

One little thing about these "audio installers" -- granted there are some great shops out there, but most of them at 16-20 year old kids just trying to make some money. Circuit City is known for some CRAPPY installations and I'm sure Best Buy is right behind them. If your getting your cd player/audio stuff put in professionally - make sure they have some type of expierence and do the job right (i.e. soldering, wiring harness connectors, shrink wrap, CORRECT diagrams, etc.)

-Drew

CD players are aligned from the factory. meaning the laser.
If your head unit is skipping alot more then it used to, take it in for service.
They will bring it back to the factory specs.

Believe it or not head units require service, some more than others.

ExplorerDMB said:
Circuit City is known for some CRAPPY installations and I'm sure Best Buy is right behind them.
-Drew

wouldn't u know it was circuit city that did my install :rolleyes: . and i wouldn't think both of those 100% brand new right out the box cd players i bought would've needed servicing. they skipped right off the bat. which is why i didn't chalk it up to just needing service.

Back