Battery/Alt. question....

MO_GUY

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Farber, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explo Sport 4.0 SOHC
When I had my wreck earlier this week my cousin came out to pick me up after so I could get home and get a tow truck out there to pick it up, well he turned on my flashers to make it easier for the guy to see it and it took the guy quite awhile to make it out there and by the time he did make it my battery was dead. After I had it home I gave it a jump start and let it run for about 15 minutes then killed it. Started it a few times after that and it started fine but after I went out the next morning and tried to start it, it wouldn't turn over at all like the battery was dead again. What could be some possible causes of the battery draining? Nothing was turned on and all my stereo equipment had been disconnected.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, it hasn't rained here real good in weeks

lol well ok let me try this another way. Do you have a sealed battery or a maintenence free battery?

I'm guessing it's what came with the truck when it was new. But it was working just fine til I wrecked.

Ok then im going to assume its not a sealed one. If you look at the top of the battery there should be two caps. Pry both of the caps up with a flat tip screwdriver and look and see if there is water in there (there is supposed to be) if any of the chambers are dry its time for a new battery. Also make sure you do this will the truck off and all safety equipment. :D

Idling the truck for 15 minutes will not recharge a battery that much. You need to really drive it and keep the revs above 2000 to really charge a dead battery.

If the battery is still good, I'd get a charger you can plug into your garage wall to charge the battery.

Easiest thing to do: take it to autozone, advanced auto parts, discount auto parts... etc to have your battery and alt checked for free next time you get it running... they dont lie to you just go make you buy a new one... I have taken 3 people's cars to get dead batteries checked and all came out good, just low on charge.
Good luck
-----Nate

Back