Battery draining when car is off.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery draining when car is off..

Guy Picciotto

Reaction score
City, State
Istanbul
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1995 Limited 4x4
First of all, I've checked the forum history and found some threads about this issue but I could not find the answers for my situation..

Something is draining my battery when car is off and it is not the alternator , I disconnected and reconnect all the fuses (both under the hood and in car) , and also my stock radio, checked all connections under the hood, bought a new battery.. but I could not find the cause..

My car is 1995-4.0 second gen limited 4x4 exp. and it has stock alarm..do you think the reason could be the alarm?
by the way battery usage is 1-2 amp..
any help is precious to me, thanks..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Mountaineer had a drain a couple years ago due to the factory amp. When I diagnosed it, I hooked a meter to the battery, flipped the door latch so that I could get in and out without triggering the dome light and then I waited about 45 minutes so that everything could 'go to sleep' . Then I started pulling fuses 1x1 and looked for amps to drop on the meter

My Mountaineer had a drain a couple years ago due to the factory amp. When I diagnosed it, I hooked a meter to the battery, flipped the door latch so that I could get in and out without triggering the dome light and then I waited about 45 minutes so that everything could 'go to sleep' . Then I started pulling fuses 1x1 and looked for amps to drop on the meter

Do you know, what is the time to go to sleep mode? Is it same for Explorer as Mountaineer? Good advice, thanks, I will try this..

45 minutes should be more than enough time for everything to power down for any vehicle

ive never had this problem, but if its an accessory, and i cnt find a fix, i would put a kill switch in the negative battery lead, so nothing can drain the power.

Back