• Register Today It's free!

Battery Life

Razziel24

Reaction score
City, State
Guayaquil
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5 V6 Base
Hi, whats the lifespan of the original motorcraft battery that comes with the EX ?
Anyone had to replace it yet ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, whats the lifespan of the original motorcraft battery that comes with the EX ?
Anyone had to replace it yet ?
What model to you have? It isn't indicated in your left margin profile. It would help members in answering certain questions which may be 'model specific'.
I was advised at my last servicing that my battery was good but not fully charged. That could be due to the many short trips I take and the overall lack of driving. With all the electronics on board there would be a small but steady drain on the battery. I've only driven about 7400 miles in 21 months.
I bought a battery charger and hooked it up and with the 'trickle' charge it fully charged that battery in about 4 - 5 hours.
I'm guessing under normal use the battery should last at least 5 to 6 years, if not more.

Peter

I had to replace mine yesterday.
I have a 2012 explorer 3.5 V6, base model.
21000 Kilometers (around 14K miles)

I had to replace mine yesterday.
I have a 2012 explorer 3.5 V6, base model.
21000 Kilometers (around 14K miles)
I hope it was replaced under warranty. About a year or so ago I believe that some owners has batteries replaced. A few of them seem to die (battery, not owner) after the vehicle had been parked for a week or two.
I can't recall the last time I had to replace a battery.

Peter

I hope it was replaced under warranty. About a year or so ago I believe that some owners has batteries replaced. A few of them seem to die (battery, not owner) after the vehicle had been parked for a week or two.
I can't recall the last time I had to replace a battery.

Peter

Peter,

Agreed, battery is covered under warranty. It was replaced by the dealer on my 2009 EB-EX.

Bobby

I'll replace mine, regardless, at about the 4-year mark. Cheap insurance. One 'no start' cost WAY more than a new DieHard battery.

Hey folks,

If you're in the market for a new battery, should check out these coupons: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/ServiceCouponsPage. In addition to saving some green, these batteries come with warranties and, if dealer-installed, include free towing. As always, speak to your Service Managers for more information.

Give me a shout over PM if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Crystal

Had my 2012 serviced Thursday, battery needed replaced 18k for mileage, 1 yr 2 months old. Drive ex everyday. My 98 f150, was replaced at yr 6.

Hey folks,

If you're in the market for a new battery, should check out these coupons: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/ServiceCouponsPage. In addition to saving some green, these batteries come with warranties and, if dealer-installed, include free towing. As always, speak to your Service Managers for more information.

Give me a shout over PM if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Crystal
Thanks for the link Crystal but I'm hoping that any batteries that have to be replaced at this time on the new generation Explorers would be covered under warranty. A 2 year old battery shouldn't have to be repaced.

Peter

mine died for the 4th time today... having it towed to the dealer...

never had this prob with batts in the past. anyone else had these kinda problems?

mine died for the 4th time today... having it towed to the dealer...

never had this prob with batts in the past. anyone else had these kinda problems?
Mine hasn't died yet but I've had to put the trickle charger on it today for the second time in 2 months to bring it up to full charge. This time it took 5 hours to fully charge it on the trickle charge (2 Amps).

What I noticed this time was that when I shut the Ex down, a message "Battery Saver - System OFF" would pop up each time. Once I recharged the battery, that no longer appeared.

Peter

I just had my Ex in for a laundry list of stuff to fix and they happened to test my battery and it failed. It was holding charge but was not holding a full charge and met the requirements for a replacement.

Ex has 34,000 miles on it and is 20 months old... Glad to have received a new battery right before warranty was up.

I just had my Ex in for a laundry list of stuff to fix and they happened to test my battery and it failed. It was holding charge but was not holding a full charge and met the requirements for a replacement.

Ex has 34,000 miles on it and is 20 months old... Glad to have received a new battery right before warranty was up.
I'm glad they caught that before the warranty was up. Mine battery is 22 months old but only 7,800 miles on the vehicle. Had to charge it up at the end of October and again yesterday. Using 2 Amp trickle charge it took 4 hours the first time and 5 hours last night. I'm getting concerned it won't be too long before it fails.

Peter

I'm glad they caught that before the warranty was up. Mine battery is 22 months old but only 7,800 miles on the vehicle. Had to charge it up at the end of October and again yesterday. Using 2 Amp trickle charge it took 4 hours the first time and 5 hours last night. I'm getting concerned it won't be too long before it fails.

Peter

I was kind of surprised that it was failing already.. Batteries are usually good for 5+ years. My F250 with dual batteries (diesel) needed them replaced a little after the 3 year mark. I plow with it so it uses a lot more draw on the batteries. Being they lasted over 3 years and the ex at less then 2.. hmmm... oh well.

How long has the factory battery lasted?

For folks with a 2011 model, wondering if any of you have had to change the factory battery yet?

Please respond to poll

First one was about 18 months. Was just about to turn 36k and dealer said it failed although I didn't notice any issues. I've got 50k now and no issues.

Maybe it is because I'm on my phone but I don't see a poll.

Mine was replaced in March 2013, 2 years after getting the Ex. 13297 km on the odometer. Was getting message, "Battery Saver Program OFF" as soon as I switched off ignition. Dealer did a test and replaced battery.
Six months later I'm now getting the same message again with 15088 km on the odo. Trickle charged (2A) for 8 1/2 hours yesterday and charger still didn't indicate battery was fully charged when I had to drive it but warning message was gone.
Will have dealer check it again at the end of the month when I get oil change and Winter tires put back on.
Not sure if it is due to the number of short trips (10 - 15 minutes) or inactivity that is causing the issue but the OEM battery did fail its test.

Peter

Mine was replaced in March 2013, 2 years after getting the Ex. 13297 km on the odometer. Was getting message, "Battery Saver Program OFF" as soon as I switched off ignition. Dealer did a test and replaced battery.
Six months later I'm now getting the same message again with 15088 km on the odo. Trickle charged (2A) for 8 1/2 hours yesterday and charger still didn't indicate battery was fully charged when I had to drive it but warning message was gone.
Will have dealer check it again at the end of the month when I get oil change and Winter tires put back on.
Not sure if it is due to the number of short trips (10 - 15 minutes) or inactivity that is causing the issue but the OEM battery did fail its test.

Peter

Damn man.. get out and take a drive already.. You will be out of practice soon and we will soon be giving you the bird as we drive around you lol.

Damn man.. get out and take a drive already.. You will be out of practice soon and we will soon be giving you the bird as we drive around you lol.
Have a big trip planned for tomorrow. 40 miles (64 km)! That is how far it is to the medical lab and back. Might throw in a couple more for a bit of grocery shopping if I get really daring! :D:thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still on the original in my '11.

Back