Baumann ReCal-Pro shift kit and PML pan install REVIEW!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Baumann ReCal-Pro shift kit and PML pan install REVIEW!!!

You lose all of the rest of the fluid when you unbolt the valve body, except for a couple of quarts in the converter. Stock is somewhere over twelve quarts. Drain the converter also.

Oversquare, install the sensor into one of the ports on the side of the trans. I had one in my 1986 Crown Vic for mail delivery.
The most important factors are the type of temp gauge/sensor, and the wires. The length of the wires affected the reading in my car. The sensor sent a voltage of say 1.75 volts, and the gauge simply multiplied that by 100.

Tiny voltage variances caused by wiring details made my readings inaccurate. My temps varied between 150 to about 220(after idling in gear for ten minutes).

Research the temp gauge thoroughly before buying. Good luck,
DonW

Where are these "ports on the side of the trans"? If they're not in the trans fluid pan, then you're not getting an accurate temp reading of the overall fluid.

-B

Oversquare said:
Where are these "ports on the side of the trans"? If they're not in the trans fluid pan, then you're not getting an accurate temp reading of the overall fluid.

-B

Not 100% true - the fluid is moving quite rapidly through the transmission, and therefore is a uniform temp. Granted, the torque converter produces most of the heat, and the coolers remove some, but it's a 10 degree difference at most throughout the circuit.

Those ports are for testing. The AOD's have three, maybe four of them. One for each of the different circuits. They are on the passenger side, just above the pan rail. They are all 1/8" FPT. Good luck,
Don

Back