BBK Headers INSTALLED!

flyguy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT V8
Okay! I got some good and bad... first of all.. they acually showed up.. and they are installed. Great performance increase... mostly noticable on the low end. I can really burn some rubber now. :) The install however, took close to 8hrs by a mechanic.... ouch. He was cussin the enire time. Im not sure if he did it right or if its the headers.. but the pipes didnt line up right... from the headers to the Y pipe... the angles of the pipes are slightly off.. so they dont bolt on so great... they dont appear to be leaking... it kinda hard to tell. but I wish it would have fit better. Also, the hold for the 2nd o2 sensor wasnt drilled out right... so I had to get in there with my dremmel and widen it up.. the o2 still doesnt go in all the way.. but its working. Anybody have and exp with these headers? Any problems lining up the pipe? Hmmm... Also.. the guy didnt wrap the headers witht the tape I supplied... I told him to... but he only half-a$$ed the passenger side... i should have done it myself, but I was pressed for time... I dont really want to try and pull those off now either. :) Okay... what you guys think? Other than the rough install, they work wonderfully... lots of power!! VROOOM!

nick

cant wait to hit the dyno...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My JBA's are getting installed tomorrow. The guy gave me an estimate that he's sticking to, so if it takes longer, oh well! Also, I had him order the JBA's instead of ordering them myself. They're costing me about $80 more, but this way he'll give me a lifetime warranty. I guess you'll be hearing from me tomorrow evening!

Flyguy, just curious how much did that cost? And how much were you quoted Alec?

It was 3 something for the headers.. and 180 for the install.

nick

I do admit I'm getting reamed for these headers, but they'll be good!

The headers were $675 through the installer, and the install is going to be $350. That's the avg price of 10 places I called in Austin, and this guy has put JBA's on Explorers before. It'll also be done in less than 7 hours. He also gives a lifetime warranty, as long as the truck is owned by me. Overall, I think I'm paying about $200 too much, but the guy's great, has a warranty, and has and will cut me great deals on other stuff.

Whoh dude... you got bent over... I sure hope that $1000 comes with some vaseline... :)

nick

Nick sounds like you got a really good deal. Were you happy with the install??

Alec I think you got a fair deal most places I went for my Borlas said 6-8 hours at $60-70/hr so would be a little more than what your paying.

The highest quote I got for my headers was like 240. As for happiness when the install.. Im not terribly happy with it... but it looks like some of that might be BBK's fault. Im going to give them a call (if there tech dept. will answer the phone) and see whats up.... it appears that the joint between the headers and the Y pipe dont line up... hmmm. but the installer seemed to get it close enough where its not leaking... well.. it could be... but it alot quieter that before when it was leaking....

nick

Alec - you got a pretty average price for the header install. I was quoted 8 hours (which is bull b/c its a high-po shop) at roughly $50/hour. I have seen the headers though for roughly $450.

Well, the headers are on, details in my own thread...

It took them the whole day (9 hrs) because they had to cut off two or three stubborn bolts. He only charged me for 6 hrs, though.

Which headers to get?

Well since some people have the BBK and the JBA headers, which ones are better? I mean they are both supposedly top of the line so does anybody have some recommendations... I was leaning towards BBK but seems like they are running a poor quality business. Please reply

Well...as far as performance.. all headers are going to be the same. I really cant say if the BBK headers are at fault... the guy who did my work isnt exactly the header master of the world. And I have had very favorable exp. with BBK in the past. However... I think the JBA headers might be made of stainless... if they are.. they will last longer.

nick

BBK

Found this on another board, seems your not the only one Nick who has had some problems with BBK headers.

Dead Link Removed

I have a set of JBA headers sitting on the shelf. Been there probably for a year now. :) To lazy to install myself and to cheap to pay someone else. :) Anyways I paid $400 for them.

Hmm.. I read that... I didnt have any probs with my o2s... other than havning to shave a little metal off... hey... Ive noticed this... klunking... I guess.. I can feel it on the floor when Im driving... this is new sense the hearders have been installed. Any ideas what this could be? It almost feels like something is hitting it.. .but It could be a surge of vibration to... of course...I have this loud clunky noise somewhere in the front suspension too... sigh

nick

Well, I had two leaks in my headers and got them fixed today. The joint between the Ypipe and collector pipe was welded instead of using the supplied clamp: fix 1. Fix 2: some of the bolts on the driver side header had stretched slightly and were tightened.

I took this opportunity to talk to the installer about how the headers fit and such. He said all the sensor holes were perfect, but he needed to enlarge ever so slightly 3 bolt holes. He said it was no biggie, and the install was actually one of his easiest header installs.

Now my truck vrrrroooooommmmmmmssss!

Flyguy, you might want to check those noises, might be a header leak. Mine sounded kind of like an old Mercedes diesel whenever I gave it gas in gear. Also check the clearances with the new headers, it might actually be the headers hitting something.

Back