BBK Super Charger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BBK Super Charger

ScottXXL

Reaction score
I've done a search and haven't been able to find a direct answer.

Do you have to modify any internal engine parts to handle the BBK Super charger? Do you need a high pressure fuel pump to handle it? And do you need a larger TB to take advantage of the boost. I have a 94 OHV 4.0L V6 in a 92 explorer with about 50,000 miles on it and want to know what mods I need before hand.

Thanks to all that help!

By the way, is the BBK even out for the Explorer yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if the BBK is out, that is news to me....I don't think so but if it is, i want to know...I'm not sure as though about the internal modifications....I believe you can put it on stock, but I figure....If I'm supercharging it...The 4.0 is gonna get the works done to it.
Pete

Nope, it's still not out yet...

It's been "coming out in a few weeks" for over 2 years now. Everything you need comes with the kits(at least Vortech), larger TB's and MAS's will help but aren't necessary.

http://www.truckperformance.com says the supercharger is ready now. I believe to fully take advantage of the supercharger, you should get a KKM (or K&N), BBK TB, headers (recommend JBA), and catback exhaust. The supercharger comes with a chip. I don't know if a MAS would help also or not.

Hum, maybe I should get a job some where around school to make that a posibility next summer....Though this does look promising and cheaper than Explorer express...last time i checked
Pete

I haven't been curious enough to call

Truck performance but their site also says "2-3 hours" for the install. That sounds really low to me considering the fact that you have to remove the intake manifold, etc...

Very true scott...maybe if ya had like 10 mechanics and like all the tools a man could want...then 2-3 hours may be possible...:) And come to think of it, I think I've seen that ad before....I may be wrong though....But it clued something in my mind that I may have seen it before.
Pete

From my understanding, the BBK supercharger is similar to that of which you would find in a car coming out of the factory with a supercharger. In addition, with only a 6lb. boost, there is no need to build up the bottom end.

Hey... anyone know how many lb of boost a Vortech supercharger puts out on the bottom end? If I remember right... people usually have them set a 9lb or so at the top... but Ive heard they dont perform at all on the low end. Point is, Im trying to decide between the two... so is 6lb all around better... or a sliding scale such as the Vortech?

nick

Quick question for you guys with the Vortech supercharger for the 4.0 V-6 engine. Is the kit a direct bolt for the explorer or is there serious fabrication or work that needs to be done in order to fit the unit into place. In addition, how much did you pay for the supercharger (if you don't mind me asking) and is there any potential room for an intercooler (of course it would have to be custom)?

One more thing, could water injection be used with a Vortech?

Im pretty sure its bolt on... but theres a lot more parts than the BBK and takes longer to install.

The Vortech install is a plumbing nightmare. Your entire engine bay disappears, as does most of your engine. Something as simple as changing plugs turns into a major adventure. Also, while the compressor is fine, the quality of some of the other parts leaves much to be desired. Also, if you 4wheel heavily, you will have some of the connections come loose, which will cause an undrivable condition due to "unmetered air".

I no longer have the Vortech. I figured N/A was much better than dealing with that constant nightmare anymore. Vortech support was non existant...... they always tried to blame me for the problems. Also, since the unit only made a true 4-5lbs of boost at over 3000 rpm, it really was not worth all the trouble.

If BBK ever gets their sh** together and gets their unit out, it will be a godsend. Replaces the upper intake so it is a very clean install. Boost starts at 1000 rpm, so it is much more usable in a vehicle as heavy as an Explorer.

Oh, as for install on the Vortech goes, it depends if they send you all the right parts. In my case they did not. Thus, after repeated trips to the auto parts store to piece something together that would work (for the oil return), it only took a weekend for 2 very experienced mechanics.

If I sound disillusioned, well maybe I am. My experience certainly was far from good. The sad thing is that they work great on Mustangs...... this is the reason I bought it in the first place (mine was an early production kit, hopefully some of my problems helped Vortech fix the kit).

JMHO

I hear its out... at least thats what truck performance tells me... as in... they have one! Heh. I emailed them a few days ago and they told me that they have em.. but there is a wait of about 2 weeks. but thats cool.. thats how long it took to get my throttle body too. Damn BBK. :)

nick

I'm thinking about this super charger and uhh I have a few concerns. Our trannys do an ok job behind our 245ci v6s. I'm assuming they wont last long behind the equivilent of a 351. So would we have to upgrade to a t-5? Since we would be changing the tranny anyway would it be more cost efficent to put a 302/aod instead? I've heard 3000 for the supercharger + some money for a high flow fuel pump and maybe injectors plus the tranny so I say like 5000 for the supercharger, but an engine swap would be about the same right? Thanks for any replies.

-Chav

You do not need to change the transmission to use it with the supercharger. Of course, this depends on how you drive. If you drive normally, and don't take the truck drag racing every weekend, it should last about the same as with the stock engine. This applies for the manual, or the automatic.

As far as a swap goes, sure you can do one. You not only need the engine and trans, but the tcase also. The tranny that bolts up to the 302, be it the AOD or the T5 does not bolt up to your BW-1354 tcase. Then you would need different drive shafts (both of them). You also need a complete custom exhaust, the computer and complete engine, trans, and tcase wiring harness. You also would need to upgrade the cooling system, and try to figure out how to keep both the engine and the trans cool. Then there is the extreme amount of time required to do the swap. If you think you are going to complete the swap in a weekend, then you must have one of those amazing 30 day weekends.

Frankly, the supercharger is much more economical. Not only do you end up with the power of the V8, but you get the V6 economy to go with it. You still have an engine bay to work in, and will save a ton of money and headaches. If you look at the 5.0 page on the Ranger Station, you will see that many of those guys have spent upwards of $10000 doing their conversions. These same guys are still having problems (overheating of the engine, and or trans in warm climates is the biggest problem).

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Yeah ur right. I understood that an engine swap was very indepth. I thought Advanced Adapters had an adapter to mate an AOD or a C3 or something to our t-case. Anyway thank you for your reply. I think the supercharger would be some work, but by far a whole lot easier then an engine swap.

-Chav

Well, here is another Vortech owner. I will have to agree with Gloria on this one. I have had my Vortech now for 5 years and it's still going. I really never have solved the performance problems with it, and I got tired in spending anymore money on it to solve it. I think Vortech really mislead people on the performance that they claimed the Explorer would get out of the supercharger. I never experienced that great of a change in horsepower. Yes, my truck is heavyly modified, which Vortech claimed was part of the problem, but that was why I was solded on the supercharger in the first place, to help gain some extra horsepower for the extra load on the truck. I spent a total of 7 grand (supercharger, larger headers(JBA), larger Flowmaster exhaust, and a custom SuperChip) to try to get the performance gains out of my Explorer. I will say it's better then stock, but not worth the money I spent on it.

I do not live to far from BBK main office here in So. Calif.
I might be going by the area that they are located tommorrow, and maybe if I have some extra time, I will stop by there and check out what the story is on their supercharger and when will it be available.

Paul B.
Modified '91 4x4 4-door XLT

Oh well, I guess I might be waiting for the BBK supercharger. I guess the real sound route to take is to leaving the damn Explorer the way it is and if I want a car to pull fast 1/4s, maybe I should get a sports car or pocket rocket (civic w/turbo).

Hey mike... sounds like we have almost the same truck by our mod lists. Kewl.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BBK Site & MORE

This is REALLY funny...

I spent way too much time Sunday looking at the options I have for my 94. Trying to cipher-out a plan of attack on mods and costs to accomplish the mission.

Mission: MORE POWER ! What I want: 280-400hp, Reliable, sure to function at any time nessessary, Horse POWER.

My conclusion so far:

Vortech blowers, have heard WAY too much crap about many aspects of this set-up.(install, no low-end torque, etc.)

5.0L Swap, IF I do one... LOTS of WORK, say goodby to EVERYTHING behind the AC condenser to the 8.8, and I would consider losing it too in favor of a disc braked, narrowed 9in. Clean out all reminders of the 4.0L Engine/Trans/T-case. Start over with a EFI 5.0L/EAOD/AtlasII. Engine and trans out of a donor Mustang.(gotta have ALL 'dem lettle parts/sensors/wiring/puter, and so on.) Go thru the Eng/trans to MY specs...(btw, me be an ASE Master Engine Machinist) And the list goes on. I glanced at a post that said that folks at one of the Ranger sites were getin into 10 grand... I sure believe it. I can do 98%-100% of this swap.... no big thing... if it is MY TRUCK, and MY LABOR, AND my MONEY. If YOU want to PAY ME to do your Truck... thats gonna cost ya. That is why some have that kind of cash tied up in the swap. LOTS OF WORK, Verry Time consuming, and PARTS alone aren't cheap, by the time you pay labor... ouch!!

Kenne-Bell, they use Whipplechargers, good blower, set-up seems good, but... geared to mustangs, 5.0L/4.6L, They say they have one for Explorers... as of yet haven't heard of one.

Whipple, GREAT stuff, Especially the Quad Rotor, No 4.0L

BBK, to me, has the best all around set-up for the 4.0L, BUT as of yet I haven't TALKED to anyone with one. SO... I could be ALL wet...

Now enough of my BS, Bring on the LINKS !

Dead Link Removed BBK's site

http://www.kaufmannproducts.com/rangersw.htm Name Says it.

http://www.ice-man.com/ This is a little off the point, but... *I* think we should load em up with requests for US! They are a bit pricey, looks GOOD tho.

http://www.kenne-bell.com/superchargers.asp This site *stole* a CARB page about CARB approved Blower Kits. Lots of info, how useful tho, I'll leave that to you. The rest of the site at least warrants a glance

Dead Link Removed

NOW... I haven't even got started on this search page(above) a couple I have already listed, there is PLENTY more! NOTE: My Favorite TTB set-up is at the top of the page. I think most of you may know them in one way or another. ;)

WHEW... I'm outa breath, hehehe. I hope this helps. At least its something chew on!

Back