BBK super charger for a '94

Ron in Colorado

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited
BBK super charger for a ‘94

My 1994 Limited has a 5.5-inch lift and ARB lockers in both ends (4.56 gears and 33inch tires). It has been a decent off road machine that replaced an early Bronco (’77). The Bronco had a late model FI 351 truck motor. The Explorer 4.0 is an absolute sick pig compared to the Bronco. To make it more tolerable I would like to add the BBK charger.

My question to BBK users what is needed that does not come in the kit? I mean items to make it work without going to all kinds of extra mods for max power. I don’t want to beat up the weak trans or a rather aged motor that is in good condition for 80,000 miles. It is used at 5000 to 13,000 feet elevation so the boost wont be much over sea level pressure. From reading posts, a helper fuel pump is suggested so what model? What else?

Does it use the stock air box?
I assume the cooling is sufficient, as the extra power will be used mostly at speed where there is good airflow.

How reliable is the BBK unit? Are there any unusual maintenance problems?

Thanks for your input,

Ron in Colorado

Welcome!

Please read my BBK supercharger threads in the Need for Speed forum. All the info you want should be there.

Ron, the Instacharger is a great product for your OHV 4.0L! However the 4.0L OHV is a dog in stock form. meaning, have you considered other real power adders, like intake, exhaust, a camshaft, and a computer chip?

Thingsof this nature can really open up the stock OHV.
The instacharger will also wake the motor up, but in bolt on form the 6 pounds of boost may not be worth the effort..............

the factory intake and exhaust restrictions on the OHV make it perform really lousy at these high elevations, remove these restrictions, and you may be surprised at how well it performs, even in a 4 door Explorer with 33's and 1500# of trail gear. :)

Also when are we going wheeling?

:)

Back