BCM failure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BCM failure

bigdude2468

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XT
2014 Explorer 7700 miles. While driving at 70 mph the BCM had a complete crash. All electronics went out, luckily this was not at night. Dashboard /instrument display vanished, no turn signals, no brakes or rear lights of any kind, door locks, power seats, emergency flashers etc etc. Happened to be 10 miles from a Ford dealer, pulled into service dept, turned off ignition, took key out and the engine kept running. Vehicle was in park and I could not put it into drive as the brake interlock would not allow the gear shift to move. Dealer swore he had never seen such a thing. Only option was to disconnect battery to shut it off. Waited 10 seconds, reconnected battery and to no surprise everything came back on, appeared to be fine. disconnecting the battery was a hard reset. They pulled the codes which to no surprise everything had thrown codes, 50 or 60 of them. They ran the Oasis program with no errors, checked for reflashes of software and there was no new updates available. Has anyone ever had this happen? Been about two weeks and it has not occurred again??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum bigdude2468.:wavey:
Just when you think you've seen it all, along comes a post like yours.;)
The worry with something like this is, when or if it will happen again. There are so many electronic circuits on these vehicles that the slightest hic-cup can result in the strangest consequences. I hope it was just a one time thing.

Peter

Not heard of a complete failure. Not surprising though given the rest of the failures.

I'm thinking about putting a quick disconnect in for as many times as I've had to reset mine lately.

There is a quick disconnect on the positive battery post.

bigdude2468: Regardless if it happens again or not you should file a complaint with NHTSA. This sounds pretty dangerous to me. It just might save some ones life.

none of the mechanical systems stopped, it drove fine. However, if it happened at night I would have no headlights.

My 2014 has a simple disconnect that can be disconnected from the + post.

Honestly I don't know where the BCM is, my guess under the dash. BTW, this incident did not occur during wet driving conditions.

I checked out fordparts.com and under "Modules", there was no BCM listed. There was an ECM (engine control module) and it is located in the rear of the vehicle.

Peter

Back