Bearings and 20"+ rims | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bearings and 20"+ rims

96s281

Reaction score
Hye everyone, I looked at a bunch of threads around wheel bearings and the need to replace them (I have a 2002 EB Explorer V8, 59xxx miles), but I never ran into a bearing problem until I put my 20s on this summer.

The tires are the standard 275/45/20, and everything seemed ok until my ABS light went on a few weeks back. That turned out to be the front passenger wheel hub assembly needing to be replaced. Now, only a couple weeks later, I'm getting a really loud humming which seems like it could be in the front driver wheel or maybe the rear passenger, or both!!

From what I've read through various searches here is that around 60k the rear bearings usually go? I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do the job myself unfortunately, so I'm looking at a few hundred bucks for each of these wheels and I guess it would comfort me to know that it's not just the 20s that are screwing up my bearings but it's somewhat normal to have these replaced around this time anyway.

I'm sure the 20s accelerate wheel bearing problems but should I assume this also just the time to get them replaced?

Thanks for your time.
Bill

They tend to go every 60-75k. And ya, oversized tires like to kill them even faster, but your tire and wheel combo is basically the same rolling diameter as the stock tires. Where are you located?

They tend to go every 60-75k. And ya, oversized tires like to kill them even faster, but your tire and wheel combo is basically the same rolling diameter as the stock tires. Where are you located?

West Philly...right around Overbrook if you're familiar with that area.

i have no issues with my 20s now. when i had them on i have a driver front wheel bearing go bad. just changed it and no issues. drives lik new

Back