Been away a while, couple things on the old Explorer... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Been away a while, couple things on the old Explorer...

monkeydude3

Reaction score
City, State
Millbrook, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Well I come and go from this forum because I don't own an Explorer, but my mom has a newer one that I work on from time to time.

However, one particular truck from my past has come back into my hands. About five years ago my aunt and her kids (my cousins) hit a rough spot and as a result, I gave them my Explorer. Well, my grandpa recently passed and left my aunt some money, so she has purchased a newer vehicle. So the Explorer is back in my stable. My plan is to do any neccessary service, and donate it to someone who needs it possibly through our church.

So you know what I am dealing with, it is a 1994 Explorer XL. 4.0L OHV 5 speed manual, 4x2. 160000 miles.

Visually, the body has rusted quite a bit since I had it. I washed and detailed it all the time before, and they didn't. Oh well. I am not concerned with bringing it back to pristine looking condition.

Mechanically, it fires right up and drives down the road real nice. I was surprised how it started and runs super smooth. I did use it as my guinea pig during high school shop, so it has a lot of newER parts on it. Side notes: the cruise still works but the a/c has lost its charge since I repaired it years ago.

The temp gauge comes up just a bit off the C. It has great heat. I am thinking a thermostat is in order?

The antifreeze reservoir was empty and the radiator a bit low. I topped it off... not sure where to go with this yet. I know it has new intake gaskets and a radiator... but beyond that we will see. Nothing appears to be leaking as of now.

The front drivers handle (and the passenger one to a lesser extent) are falling apart. I don't know if you guys know much about the XL handles, but they are cheap and flimsy to start with. Add anyone who isn't completely gentle, and the results are as expected. I will try to get some pictures this weekend when we have more light (it's night now.). I was wondering if anyone has custom made something simple that can replace what is there but provide a strong means to close the door. I was thinking like a metal bar or a wooden dowel rod?

Thanks in advance all. Hope everyone has been doing well!

George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since it's a '94, the A/C might do well with just changing the o-rings (and maybe the drier) and two cans of R134a after having a vacuum pulled on it.

A thermostat is usually a good idea, since the 4.0L runs much better with a properly opening stat, and one that's stuck open might evolve into one that's stuck closed.

If you're sure the radiator itself doesn't leak, the culprit is usually the hoses or stock-type hose clamps. check the upper or lower hoses, or the heater hose connections at the firewall or water pump. New hoses are possibly in order if they've never been replaced, though you can sometimes get away with cutting the ends off the heater hoses and running them slightly shorter. Screw-type hose clamps are ideal when the stock types have lost their tension.

You can throw in a wooden rod from behind the door panel as some reinforcement, then glue it in there with plastic epoxy or something, and fix any cracks on the outside with the epoxy as well, or even super glue. If the factory handles aren't really in shape to be reused, some thick plastic tubing from the hardware store works fine.

It's a shame to just give it away, since people who receive free vehicles don't always take good care of them.

If you don't find anyone who needs an Explorer, perhaps you could sell it off to someone who wants it, then use the money for a donation instead.

Since it's a '94, the A/C might do well with just changing the o-rings (and maybe the drier) and two cans of R134a after having a vacuum pulled on it.

I have replaced the lines and the evaporator. All the O rings at the time were replaced. The condenser and compressor look a bit iffy, and both our not worth me dumping some money into considering other projects I have. I understand what you are saying though. Maybe a few cans to top it off might not hurt.

A thermostat is usually a good idea, since the 4.0L runs much better with a properly opening stat, and one that's stuck open might evolve into one that's stuck closed.

I'll add it to the list. :)

If you're sure the radiator itself doesn't leak, the culprit is usually the hoses or stock-type hose clamps. check the upper or lower hoses, or the heater hose connections at the firewall or water pump. New hoses are possibly in order if they've never been replaced, though you can sometimes get away with cutting the ends off the heater hoses and running them slightly shorter. Screw-type hose clamps are ideal when the stock types have lost their tension.

Like I said I really have not looked yet. On taking a glance I noticed that the radiator is new, I replaced it not long after letting my aunt use it. But I will hook my pressure tester up and see what I find. Your info gives me some places to start looking.

You can throw in a wooden rod from behind the door panel as some reinforcement, then glue it in there with plastic epoxy or something, and fix any cracks on the outside with the epoxy as well, or even super glue. If the factory handles aren't really in shape to be reused, some thick plastic tubing from the hardware store works fine.

The driver's door handle is destroyed. You would not have any pictures of such a setup to give me a visual on what to pickup at the store? I'm up for fabricating anything as long as it works.

It's a shame to just give it away, since people who receive free vehicles don't always take good care of them.

Like my aunt and cousins... this thing was literally mint condition perfect when I gave it to them. But what can ya do? It did really help them out despite the lack of TLC. I believe though they did normal oil changes and had a friend do the maintenance to the mechanical aspect of the truck.

If you don't find anyone who needs an Explorer, perhaps you could sell it off to someone who wants it, then use the money for a donation instead.

That is a great idea and had never thought of that. You think a truck like this could fetch around $500? More or less?

Thanks for the detailed reply!!!

I just paid 500 for a 93 explorer so yes id say you could get that out of it.

Sweet. Worst case that's what I'll end up doin with it.

It's worth 500 just as a parts truck, more as a running vehicle. It's likely worth even more to someone in the north as a winter beater, or to use on a farm/ranch/etc. You might even sell it to some teenager as their first vehicle.

If you're just looking to get 500 out of it, you can change the 'stat and pinpoint the coolant leak, and leave it at that. Make the new owner aware of the issues, and they can track down new door panels and put some money into the A/C if they need it. Otherwise they can just fab up a door handle fix and remove the A/C and use the shorter A/C-less belt. You can also point them to explorerforum.com for future questions.

Back