• Register Today It's free!

Best Cold Air Intake?

Phantom5oh

Reaction score
City, State
Hanover, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited 5.0
I was wondering who makes the best cold air intake for a 2000 Limited with the 5.0 in it? What does everyone use on theirs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i love my MAC. you can see a pic on my homepage.

Do you need a cold air intake?

Measure the IAT at speeds above 20 MPH......

I probably don't need it, I want to clean up the engine compartment and uncork the intake track a little.

Phantom...

I dont have a 5.0L but I used the K&N FIPK II system and it works wonderfully. I have also put those FIPK II's in some big Chevy's and the owners tell me they love it. It will give you less restrictive airflow, so you get a little more power and a lot more throttle response. If you want to go all out like I did...after you get the KN FIPK II replace the Mass airflow sensor with a Granatelli Motorsport MAS with cold air tuning and top it off with a new bigger throttle body.

but as far as the intake I would go with KN FIPK II....mine cost $230.00

We carry the Mac Intake here at Explorer Express. We have the #3659 system for $134.95. This system replace the restrictive stock air box with an open air filter and nice chrome tube. It offers an immediate and noticable power increase. The performance equals the K & N and it is much more affordable. We also have these available for the 4.6 V8, 4.0 SOHC & 4.0 OHV (96-01)It is pictured here with the Pro-M 75mm (also available at Explorer Express).

Attachments

• mac intake 3606 wpro m web.jpg
    mac intake 3606 wpro m web.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 354

Originally posted by aldive
Do you need a cold air intake?

Measure the IAT at speeds above 20 MPH......

I agree, the Mac's chrome plated pipe is going to be a heat magnet, plus it will pit in a few years. Has anyone looked inside of the stock hose? It's smooth inside, why do you need a metal pipe? If you have to have metal for looks get an aluminum one from Ifab on ebay.

Originally posted by explr1
I agree, the Mac's chrome plated pipe is going to be a heat magnet, plus it will pit in a few years. Has anyone looked inside of the stock hose? It's smooth inside, why do you need a metal pipe? If you have to have metal for looks get an aluminum one from Ifab on ebay.

I don't need a metal pipe, and I don't need more cold air. I want the engine compartment cleaner. If I wanted just cold air I would make my own kit out of 3" PVC. An added bonus of the CAI is less restricted airflow (more power) and I am willing to gain that.

Chrome will not pit if it is taken care of properly. It needs to be polished and waxed regularly and kept free from scratches.

I have a MAC on my 5.0 too and I love it! It looks great and sounds even better. Boosted my mileage too. It really makes the engine compartment look nice. And about the pipe, Ive gone on trips for 4 and 5 hours and you can still put your hand on the intake pipe without burning yourself. It does not get that hot at all. Ya also gotta love the hissing it makes when you tap the gas and turn the car off. Sounds like a jet engine!! I say go for that MAC!

Has anyone measured IAT while ideling and driving on these metal intakes?

i never had a problem with my chrome mac being too hot. i can completely wrap my hand around it right after a long drive with no problem at all. i mean, it's bringing in cold air, it can't get that hot or it's purpose will be defeated. i also agree that it looks killer. so much cleaner and sharp looking.

Q = m*c*(delta T)

The heat in the engine bay at highway speeds is not as high as you would think.

The mass flow rate of the air is high, and the time available for the heat to warm the air is very small...

If y'all listen to what Al is saying... when the intake is giving you more power (above 4000 RPM) heat soak is not an issue... get whatever intake you want.

I recommend the MAC if you want a new tube. The FIPK ain't worth $228 for the 4-5 hp you gain (K&N has dyno's on their website)

Back