Best location for a 10" subwoofer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best location for a 10" subwoofer?

diatonic

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I recently purchased a 2002 Explorer XLT and I'm wanting to install a 10" subwoofer. I thought I'd consult the Explorer gods before going to a stereo shop.

My Explorer has the rear A/C unit, so I'm unable to use the JBL Stealthbox. The passenger-side rear panel (next to the third-row seat) looks like it could be a great location. There is currently a little storage area there.

Has anyone here tackled this type of project?.. Will I be forced to give up some cargo area?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, that location is where the factory sub goes. There isn't a whole lot of room there because of the fuel tank filler hose being right there. Kind of a dumb design by Ford, they should have kept it on the driver side haha. They don't make stealth boxes for the 2002-2005 so its going to be a custom job. If you search in the audio forum people have done it with the 5 seat option but i have yet to see it with the 7 seat option. your best bet to keep it hidden is place is where someone's feet would go on the 3rd seat and the amp can go down there as well and you can fold the seat over it to keep it hidden. Good luck!

There are a couple of places that make custom boxes for the 02-05, I looked into getting one, but they were all way more than I wanted to spend. Like he says, you could get a factory sub box, put a better woofer in it, and a better amp, and hide it in the side of the vehicle. Wouldn't have to worry about it getting stolen as much...

-Shawn

Like he says, you could get a factory sub box, put a better woofer in it

This sounds like the way to go. Anyone have pictures of this, part numbers, good source, etc.?

Mike

Part#1L2F-18C804-AF on Sub enclosure, Part#2C6F-18C808-AA

one is the enclosure, the other the amp. Forget which. I have pics, but I am on dialup and its' gonna take me forever to get them shot to the pbucket acct.... solly. There is one other part, and that's the body panel that has the cutout for the speaker. I dunno what the pn is for it, but I guess you could grillecloth the pocket hole in the standard blank one.

I have no good sources, I keep an eye on here and teh Bay. Hoping to find some wrecks around where I live, too...

-Shawn

Back