• Register Today It's free!

best new brake calipers

mechjames

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
this weekend i'm doing a complete front brake system overhaul, (new pads, rotors, slide pins) and i am also going to change the calipers.

this year i had one side seize up on me and then a week later the other one did. currently i have brake calipers from a 1989 bronco ii on my 1994 truck, and the bronco ii ones had higher mileage then the ones on my 94 when they went.

so now that i'm buying all new parts, in your experiences, which brand of brake calipers work the best and last the longest?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OEM. I have OEM calipers on mine, I just make sure that when I compress the calipers (when changing pads or rotors) I open the bleed cap, that way when you compress it you get all the old fluid out. I have had to "rebuild" it with new seals/rubber gaskets and all, but they still work perfect.

If you're looking for an upgrade, or another set, why not the Duralast from autozone, they normaly have a damn good warranty.

I live in canada, we don't have autozones here, and most of the places here will sell you the cheapest brands. I've heard stories about them leaking and wearing out after as little as 10,000 km or less, because they're usually rebuilt and not a good job.

i'm thinking about rebuilding mine, but i also like rockauto's prices too :p

but since i still have oem, i might just rebuild them. oem calipers have worked for 15 years, why not another?

but since i still have oem, i might just rebuild them. oem calipers have worked for 15 years, why not another?

exactly. the "rebuild" kits, are only like 3-5 bucks depending on what you get. Maybe Ford sells their own little hardware kit.

not famlair with ford calipers, are they really worth rebuilding? Last time I looked the kit was like ten dollars and a caliper is 15 bucks. Many things come out of china so you now just buy new. I would look at rebuilding mine if the new ones looked of poor quility.

not famlair with ford calipers, are they really worth rebuilding? Last time I looked the kit was like ten dollars and a caliper is 15 bucks. Many things come out of china so you now just buy new. I would look at rebuilding mine if the new ones looked of poor quility.

well, the ones on my explorer are 15 years old, and still working as they should.

i checked earlier, and a rebuild kit was 3.99, and a new caliper of good quality was 35.99.

this year i had one side seize up on me and then a week later the other one did.
I dunno the exact details of these seize up sessions but if you keep going through calipers on the same wheel(s), then maybe something else is at fault -- like maybe dragging pads which is causing too much heat which is killing/hardening the brake caliper's seals.

nope what i meant is the passengers side went then i replaced it and then the drivers side went.

i'm just going to rebuild, i don't want cheap stuff, and my bronco ii ones that are on my explorer are now approaching 20 years old, and had higher mileage then the ones that died.

so i think its a good idea, instead of buying a $10 caliper and having it go in a year or two.

Back