(Brake calipers, "death wobble?", shaky steering) Please help!! My baby is sick!!!! :( | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

(Brake calipers, "death wobble?", shaky steering) Please help!! My baby is sick!!!! :(

you're not going to believe it.

Front right tire had tread separation.

What did I go and get new tires for?

Because what I was experiencing was a symptom of tread separation. I specifically got 2 new tires to rule that out.

The tire shop guy literally felt all 4 tires and said the front right tire had tread separation. But what did the shop do? Just replaced my 2 back tires and did not even touch the front one.

That means I put it aside and crossed tread separation off my list because I took the shops word for it and thought it was common sense that they would swap out the right ones.

CAN'T BELIEVE IT.

But a blessing in disguise....

I made a brave decision and took today off of work because the issue with my truck became urgent at this point. No more putting it aside and trying to fix the issue on my free time.

After a stressful day of the problem just getting worse and worse as I drove...... I was overcome with sadness and honestly feeling a bit like a failure. I simply wanted to pop on some new calipers and brake pads to make sure my one and only transportation was safe to drive. It turned into one hell of a rollercoaster of learning lessons and stress.

I gave one shop a call getting towards the end of the night. A tire kingdom that popped up on Google Maps.

I went to a Tire Kingdom and they looked at it for me. Within 5 minutes of being jacked up they knew it was the tire. Can't believe it was that obvious to him. They put the spare I had on, tightened up a few nuts that could have been tighter, topped off my oil, and most touching of all, just shook my hand and told me to be safe on the road; letting me walk out giving them nothing but a smile and a big thank you. What a blessing.

It is driving straight as a bullet now and I've got nice new brakes..!! guess that's a bonus.

A very stressful week indeed. Lots of ups and downs. Lots of questioning my own ability to do simple tasks like work on my brakes. Lots of feeling discouraged that I was not able to figure out the problem, even though so many of you were typing such long responses to help me out.

I can't believe it.

I also can't believe that ExplorerForum has such a caring community; strangers that give everything they've got to try and help you solve something like this. Only being able to base responses off of text is a whole different ball game but you all kept coming back to give me a hand.

I feel like I have a home and group of friends online always ready to do their best...no matter how big or small.

I know this thread was all over the place and I know the issue was something so small and hard to believe...

but listen; I really can't thank you all enough...

This has been a tough and taxing week for me mentally, physically, emotionally, and financially... but I feel like I have learned a handful of valuable lessons that I will hold on to. Also feel like my eyes have been opened to how things work out.. I have never felt more grateful for a blessing in disguise.

Thank you all again; you will see me around.

Drive safe out there, and remember that even when things seem like they are spiraling down with no way to change, and you feel like you've a solution to a big problem you're encountering in life is nowhere to be found..... that you could be overlooking something that was there all along.

Don't ever be too hard on yourself; the best you can do is give it your best... and sometimes, your 'best' is actually rocketing you towards the solution, and you didn't even know it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to say but...
Try this;
Jack one front side up off the ground and rotate the wheel by hand. You want to find the side with intermittent resistance or wobble. I'll be damned if both sides track straight and smooth.
I suggested jacking it up and spinning the tire. At that point, you would have seen it was out of round or had inconsistencies.

Though, I'm glad you got a definitive answer and even though you spent money on parts you didn't need to fix the issue, it's never a bad thing to do a brake job and know that you have working and safe components.

Nate the thing is, I am not particularly familiar with tread separation and did not have a keen eye for an out of round tire

It especially got worse driving 65mph today to my friends house so he could look at it

I got 2 new tires last week because the symptoms I was having were just like tread sep.....

The tire guy knew which one was bad and probably didn't tell the guy who put them on which one to swap out...

I ruled out tread separation when I drove away with new tires and had the same feeling.

Of course the tread sep happened right as I put new brakes on so I thought the issues must be related. Like you said, could be multiple issues unrelated. You're a smart cookie Nate and have always proved to be since I came around.

Anywho, we all know you're always right anyway'!' Haha XD

Lesson learned and at the end of the day I have the safest brakes I've ever had and a working vehicle. Glad I can make it to work safely now, I'm lucky that's for sure.

Wow, one more example that its always the simple things... at least its fixed and guess what..? You learned! You will not forget this experience and are better for it. You have good brakes and a near good set of tires. Let your wallet recover and get two more good tires and you probably won't have to do anything to you Ex for a long time.

Glad its fixed. Be proud that you jumped into it and got your hands dirty. Most people won't and just buy another car.

Wow, one more example that its always the simple things... at least its fixed and guess what..? You learned! You will not forget this experience and are better for it. You have good brakes and a near good set of tires. Let your wallet recover and get two more good tires and you probably won't have to do anything to you Ex for a long time.

Glad its fixed. Be proud that you jumped into it and got your hands dirty. Most people won't and just buy another car.
All your help was very much appreciated man. Told my gf about you all the whole time and how helpful you all were.

Thanks again and hope things are going well for you as well.

Excellent. What's cool is your determination. Or is it OCD? ;) Agree with 92exp4x4, you stuck with it and slayed the beast. Nate and 2stroke are invaluable, just wish they were on the Gen 2 sub forum more. Only regret is this thread didn't reach 100 posts. Just kidding, very happy for you! :chug:

All your help was very much appreciated man. Told my gf about you all the whole time and how helpful you all were.

Thanks again and hope things are going well for you as well.

No problem, that's what this forum is all about. I have learned a lot in the years I have been on here. Between this forum and my 10 plus years working on automotive and industrial equipment, I have gained a lot of knowledge. Its fun to give that back by helping those who want to learn and do for themselves.

Hello OP- I was just flushing brake fluid last night using clear tubing that fit tightly but I was also using a very small cheap-o vice grip in tandem with the 9mm wrench. When I first started I didn't have the vice grip on good and got very similar air bubbles - not tiny ones but big gaps in the tubing. I'm assuming they were coming from my lack of good seal there at the bleeder. Once I got the hang of it and was getting the tiny cheap-o vice grip on there better I didn't see bubbles again.

bleed.jpg

What I just picked up from reading this was: 'short stroke', post #78 above, Natenkiki. I don't think I did this. I had a soft pedal (my opinion) prior to the work and had the same thing after. Maybe that's normal. I'm interested in - properly firming up the pedal - is how I'll put it. Congrats on your finish here.

:banghead:tire separation :banghead: ughhhh good job on fixing it could have sworn it was a wheel bearing or ball joint or a brake issue.... geeze how is it running still?

Back