Best Performance (exhaust & intake) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Performance (exhaust & intake)

Michigander

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, Midland, Ann Arbor, Alpena; all in Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Contour SVT
Ok... I want EVERYONE'S input on this. In your opinion, what is the best aftermarket exhaust and intake systems? Right now I am considering Borla, Bassani and Dynomax. What does each sound like and what has the best performance?
As for intake, I am considering K&N intake kit and the True Rev induction Kit. Which gives the most HP?
Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put a Flowmaster exhaust from Summit Racing on my '92 Sport. Gave it a real nice rumble and gained about 15hp and 25ft.-lbs torque. Took a grand total of about 90 minutes to install. Pipe is aluminized steel. Nice price too. Sold for about 160.00. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Welcome to explorer4x4.com!

Do you have the 4.0 OHV 6cyl, or the 5.0 V8?

On the intake side, I've run a conical open element K&N that attaches directly to the MAS for quite a while. This eliminates the stock air box, which is rather restrictive. The throaty growl at WOT is fun. You should get just a bit better mileage also. I know many use the KKM, I would suspect similar performance enhancement.

On the exhaust side, anything you install will be an improvement over the stock, restrictive muffler. I ran a Dynomax Super Turbo for quite a while, good performance and a little throatier over stock, but not anything obnoxious. About a year ago, I put on a Flowmaster 40, which sounds nice, is a little louder than the Dynomax, but again not obnoxious. As far as performance gains, sure, it helps a little, but don't expect HUGE gains.

Dynomax also makes the Ultra Flo, in the welded or stainless version. I'd go with the welded, same performance, a lot less expensive. This sound is comparable to the Flowmaster I have, just a bit of difference, but pleasing.

Borla and Bassani make a nice product, I've heard the Borla but not the Bassani. I think the Borla sounds a bit raspier than the Flowmaster or Dynomax. The problem with Borla or Bassani, in my opinion, is the price. They're great products, but are much more expensive than the others. Of course, because of their stainless construction, they'll probably last longer than the rest.

With the choices you've mentioned, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. It's really hard to describe sound over the web, opinions are rather subjective.

Advice: Don't increase your exhaust pipe diameter from the cat on back, including the muffler. This will hurt low end torque some.

As far as Hp increase with the various mufflers, I think the differences between the brands mentioned is slight at best. A lot of people estimate gains from performance mufflers and open element air filters, but, in my opinion, without data from the dyno to substantiate it, they are just guesses. Sure, you'll gain some, but with the 4.0 OHV that is rated at 160 Hp stock, anything more than 5-10% (8-16Hp) is wishful thinking.

Again, anything compared to the stock muffler is an improvement. It just comes down to a matter of taste.

I have a similar need for exhaust advice. I'm not sure what is a good idea but has anyone
1) straightpiped stock setup
2) installed a glasspack
3) installed a turbo muffler
I might put on the glasspack because it is cheap and will open up flow and give it some sound and if it sounds bad I have little money stuck into it. The borla kit looks good but I really can't justify that kind of cash when I would rather buy a chip and a cheaper system.
However there is a fine line between tough sounding and annoying ping pang exhaust.

What's the best exhaust for a 5.0L? Would I better to have a custom job done or is there a cat-back system out there? I don't want anything that is real loud but I'd like people to turn their heads when I stomp on it.

Also, how much has mileage increased with a new exhaust and open element filter? My new 5.0L doesn't get much less than my 92 did but it would still be nice to get another mile or two considering how high gas prices are.

Dannyboy -

Thought I was a reply. Oh well .........

1) Not quite sure what you mean by "straightpiped stock setup".

2) Glasspacks - are you referring to something like a "cherry bomb"? You get what you pay for. They are cheap, sound cheap, and don't last very long at all. I'd save the money you spend on these to go for something of higher quality. On the other hand, mufflers and exhaust sound are a matter of personal preference. It's hard for me to know what you like.

3) Turbo muffler - I used the Dynomax Super Turbo for years. See my post above.

CougarX -

Not sure about already made cat back systems for the Explorer 5.0's. It shouldn't cost any more (maybe not as much) to have a "custom" job done. Besides, all a "custom" cat back exhaust system entails is a muffler and some pipe that needs to be bent to fit your application. Any good exhaust shop can do this for you.

Of course you could go with a one in, two out muffler, or if you really want to spend some money, a true dual system. Headers also if you're really serious.

But if your motor is basically stock, I'd just go with your choice of performance muffler. Flowmaster, Dynomax, Magnaflow, Hooker Aerochamber, Bassani, Borla, Gibson, the choices are many. Dollar for dollar, I think Flowmaster or Dynomax are your best bets.

Thanks Dogman
I was feeling a little crazy this weekend and noticed a bit of ehaust leaking out from the middle of my truck so I talked some mechanic into setting me up with a catback strait pipe. For only $20 total I have completly changed the sound (far cheaper to experiment this way than to buy the $400 borla kit) anyway I think I'll leave it this way until after Attica and then log out the trip and check milage. For anyone who was wondering, the 4.0 has an impressively deep tone and if you want to be loud it really screams when you get on it.

Back