• Register Today It's free!

Best place to buy tuner?

Holistx

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ex Platinum Ecoboost
Picked up my 2017 Platinum Ecoboost last Thursday and am quickly diving in to everything!
I've been reading all over the forums about tunes, tuners, etc. Most with decent info seem to be way old and want to make sure I'm not leaving anything on the table. With that said, where is the best place to buy a tuner? 5 Star has the SCT X4 with 3 tunes for a decent price but I read about Torrie who was a wizard at ecoboost tuning and would basically do a custom tune for free(?) after its all said and done. Is that still a thing? I'm looking to stay in the $500-$600 range so a bundle of the tuner + tunes is a must unless they can be had separately for cheaper.

Not looking for any drag-level HP but something I can throw down with on Friday and Saturday evenings. I'm also looking at the Gibson axle back, 3 bar map, and 170 tstat to round out the performance upgrades! Possibly a CAI as well, but read that for the price they don't do that much, but please tell me if I'm wrong here.

Thanks a ton!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum, :wave:
Just to clarify, are you looking for advice on which tuner to get or where to buy it? In most cases, they are one and the same but there are probably also stores that may sell them. As for which tuner is recommended, that has already been covered here in various threads.
Also, posts recommend changing the thermostat and a 3 bar map sensor.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum, :wave:
Just to clarify, are you looking for advice on which tuner to get or where to buy it? In most cases, they are one and the same but there are probably also stores that may sell them. As for which tuner is recommended, that has already been covered here in various threads.
Also, posts recommend changing the thermostat and a 3 bar map sensor.

Peter
Im looking for the best place to purchase a tuner. Is it 5 star? Or is there somewhere else?
Yes I’m also looking the 3 bar MAP and the 170 tstat

There is SCT, Livernois, Lund Racing, and they are all covered in threads here. Everyone has their own opinions on them.
I suggest that you use the 'Search' feature at the top right. Type in "tuners" and 'Search in' "This forum" and you will find them all.
You will likely get the same members posting their same opinions again in this thread.

Peter

There is SCT, Livernois, Lund Racing, and they are all covered in threads here. Everyone has their own opinions on them.
I suggest that you use the 'Search' feature at the top right. Type in "tuners" and 'Search in' "This forum" and you will find them all.
You will likely get the same members posting their same opinions again in this thread.

Peter
Yeah I got very familiar with the search feature over the last 6 days. Was just asking WHERE the best place to buy was since most of the stuff I read is multiple years old.

I have a 17 platinum also. I chose SCT Tuner. Please note, transmissions can only withstand so much torque. I would change fluids on tranny and PTU at 30,000 miles.

Also, do not install 3bar map until you install the tune first. Not knowing this, my electronics went crazy, throwing codes, traction control flashing, etc. make sure tune is designed for it.

Yeah I got very familiar with the search feature over the last 6 days. Was just asking WHERE the best place to buy was since most of the stuff I read is multiple years old.
The best place to buy it is from the tuner you choose to go with. That way you can be sure whatever tuner you're getting is compatible. The tuner is usually an add on to the tune itself when you buy it. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter, just go with where you get the best price AFTER you have chosen your tuner and confirmed that it will work.

The best place to buy it is from the tuner you choose to go with. That way you can be sure whatever tuner you're getting is compatible. .....................................
Thanks. That is what I was trying to get across. From the manufacturer as opposed to Walmart or Best Buy. 🤣

Peter

5star, sct, livernois i have heard of. not sure on the 5gs but usually the CAI and exhaust wouldnt do a whole lot and the tune would up it, but not a whole lot imo.

Picked up my 2017 Platinum Ecoboost last Thursday and am quickly diving in to everything!
I've been reading all over the forums about tunes, tuners, etc. Most with decent info seem to be way old and want to make sure I'm not leaving anything on the table. With that said, where is the best place to buy a tuner? 5 Star has the SCT X4 with 3 tunes for a decent price but I read about Torrie who was a wizard at ecoboost tuning and would basically do a custom tune for free(?) after its all said and done. Is that still a thing? I'm looking to stay in the $500-$600 range so a bundle of the tuner + tunes is a must unless they can be had separately for cheaper.

Not looking for any drag-level HP but something I can throw down with on Friday and Saturday evenings. I'm also looking at the Gibson axle back, 3 bar map, and 170 tstat to round out the performance upgrades! Possibly a CAI as well, but read that for the price they don't do that much, but please tell me if I'm wrong here.

Thanks a ton!
Unleashed tuning. Torrie is fantastic!!! I have worked with many different tuners over the years and he is the best. Highly recommend. He will work with you and make adjustments depending on what mods you do.

X2 on Torrie from Unleased. A K&N drop in, 2.5 or 3 bar MAP sensor, and cooler tstat is a great bolt on easy combo. He might sell a kit too.

Go with HP or Unleashed. Do not get an open box CAI in almost all cases the oem box makes the most power. The restriction is in the plastic Y pipe design but its fine until your making big power... Then the plastic factory tubing will crack anyway. EPP make aftermarket hot pipes which ditch the Y pipe design.

Install the 3 bar map and tuner at same time. Keep the 2 bar so u can revert to stock tune if necessary.

Cat back exhaust wont do much powe wise but will sound better. A set of high flow down pipes will increase power but also cost $2k 🤣

Go with HP or Unleashed. Do not get an open box CAI in almost all cases the oem box makes the most power. The restriction is in the plastic Y pipe design but its fine until your making big power... Then the plastic factory tubing will crack anyway. EPP make aftermarket hot pipes which ditch the Y pipe design.

Install the 3 bar map and tuner at same time. Keep the 2 bar so u can revert to stock tune if necessary.

Cat back exhaust wont do much powe wise but will sound better. A set of high flow down pipes will increase power but also cost $2k 🤣
I ended up going with the Gibson Axle Back (mufflers). To me, it did what I wanted it to for the price point. I didn't see the need to spend $1k+ on a cat back to get similar results. Although, I am now wondering what I could do to get a little more noise on throttle. I enjoy what these mufflers do, but I have a slight itch for being able to open it up and hear something more. Any thoughts?

Back